Worse experience with Oceanic support (Geo 2.0)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martyton

New
Reaction score
I'd like to share my experience with this community as I'd love to prevent others to feel as cheated as I do.

About two and a half years ago I bought a brand new Oceanic Geo 2.0 in the Philippines, where I live. I bought it at the official Oceanic distributor.
Two weeks ago the backlight of the computer failed. In addition, the clip that connects the computer to the PC/laptop literally crumbled in my hands while I was trying to download the data of my latest dives.

I first tried to get the local shop to help out. They basically said they would contact Oceanic directly and have Oceanic direct them on what to do. They told me the most likely outcome was going to be Oceanic to tell them to send the computer to the States to have it recalibrated. The shop also told me they have a batch of 5 Geo 2.0 with several problems, including failing backlights and that the computer were sent to Oceanic in mid-August and not yet back (and that was mid-October!!!).

Discouraged by the poor service received locally, I decided to contact Oceanic directly. They responded promptly explaining that since the warranty expired, they could offer to recalibrate the computer and substitute the broken cable for a total of 170 dollar with international shipping at my expenses. Alternatively, I could trade the computer in getting a mere 20% discount on the recommended price and paythe same amount for the cable in addition to that.

After this, I pointed out that although I understand the warranty expired, a dive computer is not really supposed to fail after less than three years of usage, with less than 100 hours logged. I kindly asked Oceanic to offer me a better deal by either reducing the recalibration cost or provide a higher discount for the trade in program. A full week later, I have no response. I followed up a few times, and I finally decide to take advantage of another offer i saw online and buy a Suunto. That hopefully will not have a problem after 30 months from my purchase!

I was never dissatisfied with my Geo 2.0 but the quality of the product and the assistance/customer service is most disappointing. I recommend to think twice before purchasing this computer or any other Oceanic computer for the matter.

I had a similar experience with an Ikelite strobe that leaked out of warranty. They also offerred a discount on a new strobe which I declined, as I felt the problem would repeat itself. It's not limited to Oceanic.

Have you tried replacing the battery? It takes a 2430 battery. For the Geo 2, if the battery is low the back light may not function. Even if there is no low battery warning, the battery could still be low enough that to conserve power it stops using the back light.

You traded a Geo for a Suunto? Will be interesting to read your next customer service nightmare story when you find out how much it will cost and how long it will take to have a dealer replace the battery in your Suunto.

You traded a Geo for a Suunto? Will be interesting to read your next customer service nightmare story when you find out how much it will cost and how long it will take to have a dealer replace the battery in your Suunto.

I have a Sunnto and an Aeris neither bought at my LDS. Each year they replace the batteries at the cost of the batteries while I wait. But then they also service all my regs and BCD each year. They also run a national service center for a large number of brands.

Change the Suunto battery yourself. All it takes is the battery, patience and good eyesight to make sure you don't get lint or anything on your O ring.

I'd like to share my experience with this community as I'd love to prevent others to feel as cheated as I do.

About two and a half years ago I bought a brand new Oceanic Geo 2.0 in the Philippines, where I live. I bought it at the official Oceanic distributor.
Two weeks ago the backlight of the computer failed. In addition, the clip that connects the computer to the PC/laptop literally crumbled in my hands while I was trying to download the data of my latest dives.

I first tried to get the local shop to help out. They basically said they would contact Oceanic directly and have Oceanic direct them on what to do. They told me the most likely outcome was going to be Oceanic to tell them to send the computer to the States to have it recalibrated. The shop also told me they have a batch of 5 Geo 2.0 with several problems, including failing backlights and that the computer were sent to Oceanic in mid-August and not yet back (and that was mid-October!!!).

Discouraged by the poor service received locally, I decided to contact Oceanic directly. They responded promptly explaining that since the warranty expired, they could offer to recalibrate the computer and substitute the broken cable for a total of 170 dollar with international shipping at my expenses. Alternatively, I could trade the computer in getting a mere 20% discount on the recommended price and paythe same amount for the cable in addition to that.

After this, I pointed out that although I understand the warranty expired, a dive computer is not really supposed to fail after less than three years of usage, with less than 100 hours logged. I kindly asked Oceanic to offer me a better deal by either reducing the recalibration cost or provide a higher discount for the trade in program. A full week later, I have no response. I followed up a few times, and I finally decide to take advantage of another offer i saw online and buy a Suunto. That hopefully will not have a problem after 30 months from my purchase!

I was never dissatisfied with my Geo 2.0 but the quality of the product and the assistance/customer service is most disappointing. I recommend to think twice before purchasing this computer or any other Oceanic computer for the matter.

Not sure I understand your complaint. Are you upset that the computer has a problem or that the company wouldn't honor the 24 month warranty for 30 months? Or both?

I can fully appreciate your frustration, but the warranty period is expired, and things break.

I have two friends with that computer and both have reported problems with the computer. The problems were relatively small (one had backlight issues other had problems setting nitrox) but overall computer "worked" when needed. When I inquired about buying one both said - Don't do it.

Have you tried replacing the battery? It takes a 2430 battery. For the Geo 2, if the battery is low the back light may not function. Even if there is no low battery warning, the battery could still be low enough that to conserve power it stops using the back light.

Yup, the backlight will not function when the battery gets too low.

Back
Top Bottom