What dive computer should I get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wesg1231

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
Everyone this is my first time on this sight and i was wondering if i could get any help deciding what dive computer i should get. I want some thing below $300and something that looks nice and i could wear all the time. I looked at the G SHOK Range man but I am not sure if it tells you the depth you are at. Thank you so much,wesg1231

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The stars must be in some strange alignment today. Three different threads appeared at almost the same time asking almost exactly the same question. In order to keep people from having to give the same advice in three different threads, I merged them. this is not what we do usually, but it seemed like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to make up your mind if your want a watch or a dive computer.

There are plenty of good dive computers for under $300 that will probably meet all your diving needs.

I think if you are really wanting a dive computer that you can wear all the time as a watch, you are going to have to raise that financial bar.

Personally, I wear a watch when I want to and a dive computer when I need to.

Hi

I have about 33 dives in the last 7 years (11 that came this summer). I don't dive often but i've been wanting to go diving in Bonaire. Everyone talks about diving 4 or 5 times a day there unguided and the thing that got me worried was that i would not know/remember after 3 dives if i'm reaching my limits. So i'm finally considering wanting to get a dive computer if I do decide to do Bonaire next year.

Here is my budget and here is what i was expecting to get out of it (as i'm a relative newbie to dive computers)

Budget: $250-300. Sub 200 would make me smile

Requirements
- Ability for it to tell me how much bottom time i have left
- Ability for it to tell me if i'm ascending or descending too fast
- Ability to tell me if i should continue diving for the rest of the day (basically letting me know how much time i have on my next dive depending on how long i've waited (i realize this is depth dependent so any type of stat around this would be nice)

Nice to have
- logs all my dives
- lets me know how deep i am

Reading over scuba sites and retailers, i'm finding dive computers from 150 to 2000 with add ons and i just can't tell what the minimum is that I need to just strap on and work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would be surprised if there is any computer that can't do what you want it to do.

Before every dive, you should enter the planning mode of the computer. They all have it. Enter the depth of your planned dive, and it will tell you your maximum allowed bottom time at that depth. When it does that, it will factor in all the diving you have done prior to that and how long you have been out of the water. If you don't like what you see, wait a while and the numbers will change. If you really don't like it, pack up your gear and have a drink.

There are other features that any computer will have that you should know about. All computers will tell you how much no deco time you have left, and it will be obvious. If you still manage to screw it up and exceed it, it will tell you how much decompression time you have to do. It is important that you know how your particular model tells you that in case you have that happen.

Thanks Boulderjohn

If i do end up taking that drink, will it factor it in? :wink:

Is there any that you would personally recommend then in that price range? I saw a few posts on an Aeris (seemed out of stock) and a DG03 (looked like it had a recall).

I think almost anything you buy in that price range will do what you want it to do. I don't have any real personal preferences in that price range except to say that user-replaceable batteries are good.

Arsalan,
I have an Aeris Atmos Ai that I'm no longer using. This is an air integrated console computer with attached compass. I put about 50 dives on it, and its been a good computer. Link to further details below. If you are interested, PM me for a price.

AERIS : Atmos ai

Do you want wrist or console?

Wrist so i can just look at it when needed.

Batfish, still considering based upon my trip to bonaire or not so i'm not totally sure if i'm buying one ... yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom