Petrel vs. ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why a Petrel vs. Something less expensive? The Petrel doesn't have AI or a compass so why spend all that money. You find a computer that does nitrox for much less than $900. I am asking because I am shopping for new gear.

The above post was the original post but I feel I should ask this instead. ↓

What computer should I avoid for recreational diving. I will never get into tech diving or multi gas or anything deeper than 120 feet. I will start to use Nitorx but that's it. I had the Luna before and liked it but the screen was dim and it was very sensitive with alarms and warnings. I don't use a digital compass but AI would be nice if it works. The luna never had a problem at all. What would you suggest I avoid and why. Also please keep in mind I am open to a computer with all the bells and whistles or a computer like a zoop that is super basic and I have to run a SPG and compass. Please give me all your good and bad with what you have had how you ended up with what you have now. I am replacing all my gear and I want to get as much real world feed back as I can.

Last edited:
Most that would consider a petrel like what it offers. From bottom timer to trimix. Bulletproof, proven algorithm, adjustable, large and bright. The compass isn't a deal breaker for the demographic. Tech, tech minded and future tech were the initial target but it's certainly crossed over to be an option for mainstream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Petrel is not necessary if you have no desire to go into decompression diving or trimix.

Any nitrox computer will work for recreational diving, any non-nitrox computer as well.

However, the Petrel is desirable for its very easy user interface and readability in all kinds of diving conditions.

AI is not necessary. An analog compass works just fine. So why a Petrel?
Support from Shearwater is second to none.
It has no BS alarms, buzzers, or other distractions
It has a proven track record.
No stupid download cables that don't work half the time and are proprietary.
No false delivery promises. They are in stock.
User replaceable battery.
Incredible customer service.
Built like a tank.
It will do anything you want it to right out of the box all the way up to tri mix -no extra charges for "upgrades"
Runs GF and V planner
Bluetooth download is fast, easy, and intuitive.
The entire operation of the computer is intuitive - a reasonably intelligent person can be using all functions with a few minutes instruction.
The manual looks like it was written by and for divers. Not by Lawyers and Engineers.
Did I say the way they support their product and provide service is one of the best of any company in the industry and out? If not well, they do.

Air integration is a poorly executed, under-developed, failure-prone technology right now. It also leads to lazy, complacent divers. Compasses on computers are absolutely the most inaccurate, untrustworthy things. They suck. Buy a cheap brass&glass SPG and a cheap separate compass and be much happier with both.

People love the Petrel because it is hands-down the most durable, rugged, reliable computer on the market. It's easy to use, easy to sync to your computer, well laid out, and easily readable computer on the market. It does what a computer is supposed to do, and it does it better than any other computer on the market.....bar none. On top of it being the best, it has some of the best customer support in the industry.

The Petrel also has some great features, like never locking you out (unlike most computers), it also uses a real, full algorithm and doesn't just randomly penalize you for random crap.

I love my Petrel & use it for many purposes. I use it for technical diving, recreational diving & as a back- up to the Petrel controller on my Prism2 (it is not exact for the controller,... but pretty close). I also have an Oceanic VT4 for recreational diving. The VT4 has all the bells & whistles. I keep an analog SPG on my regulator because of intermittent loss of signal. I actually use the SPG more than the AI readings,... just6 habit, I guess. As for the Compass,... I'm not at all fond of it,.... 1. it takes you off the main dive page & info you need to know at all times during a dive. I prefer to just use a simple analog compass. Yes,... I will teach my students to use the compass on their computers, if they have them,.... if not.... it is analog. I am actually looking at getting a 2nd Petrel this winter to use as a back-up to my other SA Petrel.

I like my Petrel more than any other computer I've used. Sure, I paid much more than for any other computer, but it does anything I need it to do, including monitoring O2 sensors, all without beeping and buzzing and annoying everyone.

If you don't need one, there are plenty of computers on the market. Pick one that has all the bells & whistles you want.

I hope the OP goes and buys something other than a Petrel. That'd make me happy.

I hope the OP goes and buys something other than a Petrel. That'd make me happy.
If I don't go with a Petrel why would that make u happy. Sarcasm?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom