Two dead hockey pucks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Many years ago, wife and I bought Uwatec Aladin Prime dive computers. We've used them intermittently over the last 8 years. Mine seemed to be a little unstable, and died half way through a trip in Thailand. Never could get the IR working either. I definitely feel I didn't get my money's worth out of them.

In preparation for a February trip to Cozumel, I found them both dead. Replacing the batteries got them back up and running...

However, it is two weeks later and one is dead again, and the other is showing a battery warning.

Now, instead of a primary and backup computer for my Cozumel trip, I've got two hockey pucks.

So... gotta buy a new dive computer (probably the Geo 2.0). I'll take the 1 working Uwatec computer with a fresh battery as a backup.

There's another $300 I wasn't planning to spend!

If you had them for many years (used intermittantly or not) I'd say they don't owe you anything. I'm wondering also if the contacts might have gotten coroded. Before I bought a new one I'd take a pencil eraser to the contacts and try a new battery.

Mine was DOA out of the box. Scubapro replaced it and I was told that they had problems with some of their computers. I would check the serial numbers and give scubapro a call.

Check the age of the batteries, frequently ones you buy are 4 or 5 years old.
Also check the contacts and give them a good clean.

Contacts are bright and shiny. Batteries are fresh and new.

As far as the age of these things, I don't think that is the issue. Sealed electronics without any thermal issues should not degrade in performance. We're not talking about thermal degradation, dusty motherboards, or overused power amps circuits.... this is a relatively simple micro-controller with a pressure transducer and some software.

I've read lots of reports online that are similar to my experience for this exact model. The first battery is fine, but it goes downhill after replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom