Mares Icon HD vs Liquivision Lynx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the market for an air integrated hoseless computer and have narrowed my choices down to either a new Mares Icon HD w/transmitter for $900 (Leisure Pro, at certain times) or a used Liquivision Lynx w/transmitter also for $900 from a seller on here. In the simple way the way the Lynx is more expensive so it should be better, but that isn't always the case. Scuba Board opinions have never steered me wrong so I figured this would be the best place to ask since my LDS is a Mares dealer. Thanks ahead of time.

I'd download the manuals for both and study them rather than go on (subjective) advice. Before I bought my Icon I looked at the manuals for a ton of brands and models. I was able to definitively ID the Icon as perfect for me. It was a combination of features and specific things about the display. I am totally happy with my decision.

I don't know the liquivision, but I have recently started diving with a mares icon HD from a scubapro Galileo and I am a little disappointed.

the mares has a beautiful colour screen, but as with any piece of equipment, nothing is perfect. Things which I don't like:
1. You have to recharge the battery after every 4 dives or so. You also have to remember to charge it before the trip since it looses the battery in storage.
2. You have to reset the time and date after the battery runs down.
3. Although the physical size is the same as my galileo, the screen is smaller due to wasted bell space
4. The colour backlit screen is great, but I cannnot read my pressure on the boat In sunlight.
5. Although you can hook up more transmitters to the icon, I am also used to checking my buddy's air pressure on the galileo. You cannot do this on the icon.

i have in fact gone back to the scubapro, but only because they have a conservatism system which allows one to still see the underlying "no conservatism" times and make a cousin based in it, so you can for examp,e set a high level of conservatism and as the dive progresses the Galileo will tell you that "level" stops are requird. When it tells you that "deco" stops are needed, the. You have to make obligatory stops. Until then it is up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom