Another Computer Choice Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys

Recently my Apeks Quantum decided it was time to stop working and I am now left in need of a new computer. I have been reading through the forums and scouring the reviews on the internet to try and make a decision, however I could still use a little help in narrowing/making my decision.

I am currently training as a divemaster and diving roughly 2-4 times a week. I am looking to branch into tech diving and ultimately trimix within the near future. As such I was considering it best to choose a computer which would accommodate this progression? Cost wise I would be looking to spend roughly £300-£400 however less would be preferred where possible.

The options I have had suggested/seen that I like are:
Suunto HelO2
xDeep Black

N.B. I have also considered the Shearwater Petrel. However, the price is rather steep for me at the moment.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on these computers or even on any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance

MikeFoxtrot

Hollis tx1 i am pretty much in the same position you are right now.does everything i need.......but i know eventually i will get a petrel when i can swing it

You are fairly close, man up and get a Shearwater Petrel 2.

Or, keep an eye out, I've seen several Petrel 1's for sale in great shape for $650.

One more vote for the Petrel - if you don't care about the compass, there are probably a few Petrel 1s out there that are in your price range. Dove Suuntos for years, SO much happier with the Petrel. Customer support for Shearwater is amazing, the thing is built like a tank, but performs beautifully. No comparison when looking at the display, SO much better than the Suunto in terms of visibility, layout, etc... User replaceable battery. And the bluetooth download link is awesome - it was ALWAYS a struggle to get my Suunto to link using the cable.

If you really NEED WAI, that's the only thing that the Petrel doesn't have. Lots of threads about that here, many divers (especially tech divers) consider it a negative. Mine was so unreliable that it was worse than not having it. Use a brass and glass SPG now, don't miss the Vyper Air at all.

XDeep looks interesting, but I would be worried about supply lines and backup - from what I recall it took a long time to come to market, and people were having problems filling orders. Might be not an issue any more, but that's what I remember. Shearwater, on the other hand, has always been the rock start of customer service and turnaround. Twice they have answered email questions within a half hour, on a sunday night!

Do you really need a dive computer for tec dive?
Is there any alternative approach? Take a look at GUE/UTD.

Do you really need a dive computer for tec dive?
Is there any alternative approach? Take a look at GUE/UTD.

Agreed, a lot of divers just use bottom timers with cut profiles. I have for years , you can also use ratio deco (there's a current post debating it). That said, I've witnessed the "handiness" when fit hits the shan and the computer is there to say, yes you've figured out you're next stops ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Shearwater Petrel. Amazing dive computer!

So I guess the general consensus is to just save up and get the Shearwater Petrel? Guess I'll have to see what I can do in terms of money and hopefully aim for it.

Does anyone otherwise have any experience with the other computers? (reviews would be great)

So I guess the general consensus is to just save up and get the Shearwater Petrel? Guess I'll have to see what I can do in terms of money and hopefully aim for it.
I dive with two bottom timers with pre-cut plan for 16yrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom