Article in a computer mag about someones AI computer failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good article.

Having been in consumer and professional electronic equipment repair for many years, I have always been warry of "all in one" equipment.

You can see this from TV/VCR/DVD combo's to the all in one stero/cd/cassette units. If one thing goes bad it all has to be taken in for repair. The same can be said for AI computers.

Being all analog now and looking for a computer sometime this year, I will now even more be looking for a basic one, leaving me to continue to stare at my 10+ year old Sherwood SPG.

Jeff

Backup Backup Backup!

We dive with two computers, one is AI and analog depth and pressure gauge! Knowing that electrontics can and will fail.

azsilver has it right. If you're diving, you need to have backups. In this case, the diver had a backup: his buddy's computer.

However, the Air-Integration in his computer had nothing to do with the problem. A standard non-integrated computer would have caused the same situation had it leaked and failed. Most people who dive with a computer of any sort use it as their depth gauge and don't have a second analog gauge. Yes, when his AI computer failed, he did lose his pressure reading, but because his diving wasn't very risky, he was able to immediately ascend safely with the air remaining in his tank.

If you're diving alone or in an overhead environment where you can't ascend immediately, then you need additional backups, particularly for your SPG which you can't depend on a buddy for. I'm glad to hear that this guy made it back to shore without any problems.

yep, I always want to have backups.

An AI computer does make things a little worse if you don't have your own backups, since you've lost more stuff. You can look at someone elses depth gauge to tell where you are, but you can't look at someone else's pressure gauge to tell what's in your tank!

If your regular computer failed but you still had an analog SPG you'd still have both depth (from your buddy) and pressure info.

Damselfish:
yep, I always want to have backups.

An AI computer does make things a little worse if you don't have your own backups, since you've lost more stuff. You can look at someone elses depth gauge to tell where you are, but you can't look at someone else's pressure gauge to tell what's in your tank!

If your regular computer failed but you still had an analog SPG you'd still have both depth (from your buddy) and pressure info.

Of course. I guess I just wasn't clear enough in my previous post. In a recreational diving situation, if either of your gauges fails, you should be ascending immediately. With a buddy right there you can ascend together at a comfortable pace. Once your computer fails, the actual tank pressure is irrelavent. You have enough pressure to ascend, which is all you need. Sure, if you had an analog SPG, you'd have both depth and pressure which might be nice to keep you calm in a stressful situtation, but you don't need to know your pressure to ascend safely the same way you need a depth gauge.

I think we essentially agree, I just don't see the lack of pressure info in a recreational failure situation as that important. Technical or solo diving is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, of course. :)

Now there may be an argument that AI computers fail more often because they're more complex, but I haven't seen any published evidence for that. If anybody has data to that effect, I'd love to see it.

Back
Top Bottom