Backup gauge/watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have a Sherwood wisdom which I love, but I am looking for a basic backup. What I am looking for is a watch with a depth guage. A timer and stopwatch would be nice but are not required. Basically the reason I want this is so that if my computer goes on the fritz I have something so that I can see what depth I am at, and make a nice controlled ascent making requisite deep and safety stops. It is also nice to have a look at your wrist (although I don't like wrist mounted computers) when I am hanging on a line doing a safety stop to see how long I have been there. I am also looking to pay $150 max.

The problem is that I am not finding too much. The Citizen's all look real nice but are basically mini computers and cost a ton of money. Most other manuf. either have basic divers watches that are well priced or full featured ones that are pricey.

The only exception tat I have been able to find is the Casio SPF60-1AV Pathfinder. Here is an leisurepro (don't shoot me but it is the best price I can find in the US online) link...
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=973&parentCategory=965&sort=prsdesc

Does anyone have any experience with this watch or a similar alternative? Thanks in advance...

The Timex Helix DM seems to have all you're looking for. It has a dive track and dive chrono function with depth, temp, timer, and stopwatch.

koi:
The Timex Helix DM seems to have all you're looking for. It has a dive track and dive chrono function with depth, temp, timer, and stopwatch.

I will check it out. thanks...

DCDivenut:
I currently have a Sherwood wisdom which I love, but I am looking for a basic backup. What I am looking for is a watch with a depth guage. A timer and stopwatch would be nice but are not required. Basically the reason I want this is so that if my computer goes on the fritz I have something so that I can see what depth I am at, and make a nice controlled ascent making requisite deep and safety stops. It is also nice to have a look at your wrist (although I don't like wrist mounted computers) when I am hanging on a line doing a safety stop to see how long I have been there. I am also looking to pay $150 max.

The problem is that I am not finding too much. The Citizen's all look real nice but are basically mini computers and cost a ton of money. Most other manuf. either have basic divers watches that are well priced or full featured ones that are pricey.

The only exception tat I have been able to find is the Casio SPF60-1AV Pathfinder. Here is an leisurepro (don't shoot me but it is the best price I can find in the US online) link...
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=973&parentCategory=965&sort=prsdesc

Does anyone have any experience with this watch or a similar alternative? Thanks in advance...

Hi--

I just mail-ordered and received a Casio SPF60, for exactly the same reason you're considering. Haven't used it for diving yet (other than in the pool).

It only has a pressure rating to 100m; deeper than anyone would ever go, but common thought is that scuba watches really should be 200m. Also, its depth gauge only goes down to 30m (98 ft); but that's deep enough for my purposes.

Casio says it can be used for snorkeling or skin diving, but that it's not designed for scuba -- I assume because of the depth rating and gauge limit.

Still, I intend to use it as a backup timekeeper and depth gauge. Wonder if anyone has any experiences?

--Marek

DCDivenut:

I use the Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge as my backup. It provides depth, time, temp, ascent rate warnings, and a 10 dive log. This unit automatically turns on when you hit the water. Uwatec's are calibrated for fresh water so the readings are slightly deeper (5' at 200') than actual for salt water but they work great. The retail for this unit is $110.

--Matt

Matt -

$110 for the Uwatec Digital? Would you mind sharing where you got that price? The lowest I've seen it for is about $150. Thanks!

koi:
Matt -

$110 for the Uwatec Digital? Would you mind sharing where you got that price? The lowest I've seen it for is about $150. Thanks!

I double checked my records....the retail is $160 and I bought mine for $135 from a dive shop here in Mass as part of a complete package of gear. Based on my research this is the best piece of gear to have for your purposes short of another computer.

--Matt

koi:
The Helix only has a 50m depth rating - as does my current ( and dead ) Armitron, that flooded at 124'. Granted, it only cost about $20 ;-)

Marek K:
I just mail-ordered and received a Casio SPF60, for exactly the same reason you're considering. Haven't used it for diving yet (other than in the pool).
--Marek

There is a one day special Woot for $80. I was wondering if it was worth it for a back up.

matt_unique:
I double checked my records....the retail is $160 and I bought mine for $135 from a dive shop here in Mass as part of a complete package of gear. Based on my research this is the best piece of gear to have for your purposes short of another computer.

--Matt

The OMS is the exact same bottom timer with different lableing. Maybe you could find that one cheaper than the Uwatec brand? I've got on for back up and it has me looking for a wrist mount computer instead of my hose mount as it is so easy to reference.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom