What to look for in a dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dzstr:
What features should I look for? Other than a big hand and a little hand? :wink:

- large display that can be read in low light
- second hand (or digital)
- a good band that is large enough to fit over my exposure protection
- controls I can work with gloves on

Water resistant.

There are three ways to go with a dive watch.

Simple and traditional - An analog watch with a locking crown, watertight to at least 100M and preferably 200M, a one way ratcheting elapsed time bezel, large easy to see glow in the dark hands, and a sweep second hand. Both Citizen and Seiko sell very good dive watches that meet these criteria for around $150-$200 and you can cut the price in half on line.

Simple but digital - A cheap but reliable water resitant watch like a Casio G shock or Timex Ironman. Watertight to 100 meters, stopwatch function backlighting, and most importantly buttons that can be pushed underwater without leaking. Cost is $35-$50 at Wal-mart.

Complex with great geek appeal - Any of the variety of watches with integrated dive computers, depth meters, bottom timers, etc. Cost is anywhere from $250 to $1000.

I have a passion for simple and traditional and wear a very nice Citizen promaster most of the time, but a Casio G-shock is very hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck and the cost is low enough that if it dies or gets lost, you are not going to whine about it.

I just got this one, you would love it.
It has DIGITAL COMPASS!!!, depth gouge, baro, auto tilt light, and last dive log. its battery recharges with solar energy and it runs like 5 months on a full charge. I used it on 30 meters (sorry, I am clueless with feets and yards and all that) it is a casio sea pathfinder spf-70T the T stands for titanium, so it is very light :)

good luck

Easy to read Bezel and hands.

I have a Tag Huer for everyday use that has a golden colored uni-directional bezel and a screw-down crown. It's waterproof to 200m, but the bezel is impossible to read in challenging conditions. Also, even though the steel bracelet has an "expansion link" for wetsuits, this is not enough for 7mm wetsuits.

For diving, I leave the Tag at home and use an Automatic Seiko dive watch that is very easy to read (the bezel has the 0-20 minute region is RED which I find very helpful), the hands glow brightly (my kids call it my "glow" watch!), and the rubber strap is long enough to be used with most any wetsuit and glove combination. And because it's automatic, the battery will never die on me--though when it's been sitting, I do need to shake it up a bit to get it going. A great dive watch. Priced around $150-225. Even saw one at Sears!

++ Peter

I bought an Aquatec watch at Walmart for under $6.00 and it has been a fantastic SCUBA watch. There are many different models to choose from, and the one I have has a nice big digital display along with stopwatch etc. I have used it constantly for the past 6 months down to depths of 100 + feet and no problems. Can't beat the price - for the price of a tank fill, you can get a new watch!

I recently went through the exercise of hunting around for a good all round dive watch. I was looking for something that was easy to read under all light conditions and had a sweep second hand. I eventually settled on one of the US Navy Seals Traser watches and it works well from full light to none. has a light on the rotating bezel and is easy to read. 200m and lightweight.

I recommend you look at the range.

I also bought an Aquatec watch at Walmart for under $6.00. It has a digital face with large easy to read numbers, four large push buttons for ease of use with gloves, push botton lighted dial, velcro wrist strap, it's rated to 50m, and it's cheap!. I've used mine for over a year now, and had it to a max depth of 110ft. It has to the best $6 I've spent on a diving accessory so far, and if it breaks or I loose it, no biggie, I'll by another one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom