battery failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have/had a Cochran Commander Nitrox computer.My first computer.Very user friendly.Last dive went to turn computer on and nothing.I knew that the battery life should have still been good but it would not turn on. I went to take the batteries out and put in fresh ones and 1/2 a turn of the battery compartment and pop.This was under some pressure.Inside was an oily residue and one of the batteries had leaked.I went to my local dive shop and they concurred what had happened.They had not seen this happen in a computer but in lights and other electronics.My luck was the computer $$$$. They have said that I may be able to "trade in" this unit to Cochran and get a discount on another. Or the shop can sell me another.( like the Suunto Vytek) upgradable air integrated unit for an additional $600. What are some pro's/cons
to help make my decicion.Cochran:$1100 is not upgradable-Suunto:$900 is for an additional $600. I just spent a wad on a set of twin 80's and Halcyon BC and now looks like I am in the market for a new computer but am strapped for cash and wondering which is the best route to go.Any replies would be great.
Urge to submerge,
Les

you could also try contacting Cochran directly for a replacement or advice. I used to own a Cochran Gemini and had some problems with it - the technical support people at Cochran were always willing to help and in fact ended up giving me a full refund.

As far as I know, the battery compartment in a Cochran computer is isolated and can be cleaned in case of flooding. So maybe your computer isn't totally broken. I have never owned a Commander but have used one on many occasions and found it to be a good computer.

I concur with the thought that a flooded battery compartment does not equal a ruined computer. Clean it out and give it a spin - it will either work or it won't and you don't have anything to lose at this point.

With twin 80's etc, it sounds like you may be tech inclined or at least headed in that direction. In that case consider a bottom timer and some PDA based deco software like Palm VPM or DPlan, or for a bot more money a techically oriented computer that will handle at least 2 mixes, or even better, for about twice the money, a computer capable of dealing with helium mixes.

$400 would get you a NiTek duo and $1000 would get you a NiTek He computer from Dive Rite.

...per owners manual. Replace battery and you are good to go. If you do not have a manual, you can download from C's website.

CrateCookie:
...per owners manual. Replace battery and you are good to go. If you do not have a manual, you can download from C's website.

I just sold a used commander and downloader and and take a look at the email I got from the guy...................................The downloader & software both check out fine as I used them to download another Cochran unit I have. The computer however only checks out okay to dive. The dive log profiles are not downloadable. According to Cochran, the dive log memory is scrambled due to letting the user replacable batteries run out or leaving the unit in storage with out batteries in it. According to Cochran, there is no fix for this without factory repair & no guarrentee they can correct the problem. It is safe to dive, but the software & downloader can not be used with this computer as is..........................Is this not a bummer... you leave battries in for storage and they explode. You take them out and the memory is shot.....Contact
Technical Support techsupport@divecochran.com and complain like heck.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom