Delta P VR3 or Nitek He

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
VR3 or the He?

Feedback from owners of either units would be much appreciated.

The Good

The Bad

and

The Ugly

The manufacturers sites of course list all the reasons they are the best, but as we all know, that's not the entire story. Or is it?

My problem is that no one I know owns either of them, SO, I'm counting on SB to come to the rescue with divers who have first hand knowledge.

I know this may take a while to get some feedback, but my purchase will not be until spring of 2005, so I can wait.:sleeping:

Try a search on the same subject on The Deco Stop and you'll find several threads with the exact same question.

I've never used the Vr3 but I own the He and love it. It's very easy to use with a simple display and is back lit for night or cave diving. I've used it on about a dozen dives including several deco dives and have never had a problem with it.

I had the chance to inspect a VR3 in Puerto Galera earlier this year. It's very well made and has many functions (optional, i.e. you pay more as you progressively upgrade) that the Nitek lacks such as interface cable to use with Dolphin SCR or Inspiration CCR, built-in gas analyser function, a game you can play during your deco stop etc. So basically it boils down to what kind of diving you want to do. If you're into rebreathers, the VR3 might make more sense. I'm sure most SCUBA user who do not dive rebreather would go for the Nitek after seeing the price of a basic VR3 though!

At Atlantis, Puerto Galera, they used both the Nitek (not sure which version) and the VR3.

I just re-read your post: I guess I did not read carefully - sorry, I am not an owner of a Nitek or VR3. Feel free to ignore my 2c.

Thanks so far, and don't worry if you don't own one and have info garnered from other divers you know who owns one of the units. Any real world info is helpful, as I have yet to even see one! Seems that both units have never been great sellers in this part of the world (central Canada), and getting to talk to divers who own one locally is next to impossible.

I'm looking for an easier way of planning deep dives using mixed gases, without the need to lug a laptop, printer, and laminator around all the time. My bailout tables never really change, and I carry the set I need depending on the depth we plan to be at. However, being able to set up run tables on my wrist slate from the same mixed gas computer that would be along for the ride for added safety has a lot of appeal to it.

pt40fathoms:
I'm looking for an easier way of planning deep dives using mixed gases, without the need to lug a laptop, printer, and laminator around all the time. My bailout tables never really change, and I carry the set I need depending on the depth we plan to be at. However, being able to set up run tables on my wrist slate from the same mixed gas computer that would be along for the ride for added safety has a lot of appeal to it.

PT,

I own two of the VR-3'S and like them. They are solid, and give you lots of flexibility. I highly recommend them, as well as the H-S Explorer.

Cheers!

I have the HE and love it. its easy to use, not too big, not too small, the screen lights up for seeing in the dark, the battery is easy to replace if need be, the download cradle is easy to use and I have called dive-rite on a few occasions for questions and got a quick answer every time. The buttons are large enough to use with even the heaviest of gloves. even under water the functions are very easy to use.
So I guess you could say I reccomend it. I have not used the VR-3 but do dive with someone who does and it seems like the HE is much easier to program for your dive and the gasses you'll use.

The only drawback to the HE would be the lack of an O2 sensor for rebreather use. But for the money you'll save by buying the HE you can buy more gas for OC diving. :wink:

nyresq:
I have not used the VR-3......but do dive with someone who does and it seems like the HE is much easier to program for your dive and the gasses you'll use.

The only drawback to the HE would be the lack of an O2 sensor for rebreather use. But for the money you'll save by buying the HE you can buy more gas for OC diving. :wink:

PT,

The one thing I tend to dislike about the VR-3 is the very small display. Even with the new software update that makes the numbers larger, the display is not very readable when things get dark.

It is otherwise a very fine computer that will do anything you want it to do in terms of gasses, switching, stops, and depths. It is also very tough.

The H-S Explorer is a great computer as well. It will do both Buhlmann and RGBM. It can handle multiple gasses, switching, stops, programs, depths, and conservatism factors. The display is large and easy to read. Take a look at one of these two over the Nitek. PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers!

Rob

VR3 for me
Love it, strong enough to hammer nails. Does everything, mine is going back for the new colour screen and VPM upgrade early into the New Year. will be nice to be able to read books on it during Deco. and that’s one of the best things about Delta P they continue to improve the product and offer an excellent upgrade path.

Mine is fully loaded up to CCR Tmx, in anticipation of my PRISM arriving in a couple of months. As soon as I get the PRISM the VR3 will be plugged straight into it.

Not sure what you mean about not being able to read the display? I have no problems and neither do the 5 other guys using them that I dive with on a regular basis.

http://homepage.mac.com/myprism/galleries/Breather/slides/DSCN1901.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom