Skip next day's dives if computer battery dies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a senario I'd like some info on.

If I were on a multi-day, multi dive/day trip and my computer battery died what do I need to do (yes, I know, change the battery).

I think I have seen people indicate that you'd need to take a full 24 hours off to degass before starting to dive again with the computer. I can understand skipping any more dives that you would have done that day, however, let's assume it died after the last dive of the day (say 3 pm). By looking at the dive tables for surface interval I see that a 9+ hr SI will get you down to letter group A regardless of where you were at the start of the SI.

Looking at the dive table for repetitive dives you find that the residual nitrogen time for group A ranges from 3 minutes to 7 minutes. So, couldn't you dive on the following day using your computer and just adjust for this RNT?

I'm just trying to understand the logic for skipping the next day.

The logic for not diving the next day is that the computer doesn't know what you have been doing. The computer will adjust your RNT (or computer calculated version) based on temperature, ascent rates, time under etc, etc, etc. Much more than just time under.

Once the computer has rebooted - it assumes that you have no residual Nitrogen and calculates accordingly. If you have been diving - this seriously throws off the ability for the computer to properly monitor your nitrogen.

It is a safety thing.

If, as you say, you've been keeping track of time/depths and using tables are sure you are in Group A after your SI, then I can't think of any reason to skip dives....if you are completely unsure (which you shouldn't ever be !) then you'd want to err on the conservative side.
If on the dive you blew a deco stop accidentally for more than 5 mins (which also you should never do if paying attention), then you would want a 24 wait between dives.

I assume you mean that at this point your computer is completely unusable . . . ?

Well, on the premise that you didn't violate any rules with respect to NDL's there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't dive the next day.

Just grab an SPG and depth gauge the next day, plan you dive and have at it.

A dive computer is nothing more than a device that tracks time and depth, it's not a pacemaker . . .

If you want to use your computer the next day after zeroing out the memory you can adjust the conservation factor. On Suunto computers this is called the personal adjustment P0, P1 or P2. If you are diving NDL recreational profiles you shouldn't have to stop diving if your dive trip was planned for only NDL.

If you are unsure, be conservative and take some time to offgas before continuing a dive series. Most dive junkets are fairly conservative because the DM's on the tour don't want to get DCS either.

If your need to change batteries between dives on the same day you may want to stop diving that day. If you must dive, be cautious and taper back your profiles.

If you violate your computer please don't dive for the required interval.

Cheryl

Sirto:
Here's a senario I'd like some info on.

If I were on a multi-day, multi dive/day trip and my computer battery died what do I need to do (yes, I know, change the battery).

I think I have seen people indicate that you'd need to take a full 24 hours off to degass before starting to dive again with the computer. I can understand skipping any more dives that you would have done that day, however, let's assume it died after the last dive of the day (say 3 pm). By looking at the dive tables for surface interval I see that a 9+ hr SI will get you down to letter group A regardless of where you were at the start of the SI.

Looking at the dive table for repetitive dives you find that the residual nitrogen time for group A ranges from 3 minutes to 7 minutes. So, couldn't you dive on the following day using your computer and just adjust for this RNT?

I'm just trying to understand the logic for skipping the next day.
Hi,

It depends on the specific computer you are using.

I do not know about other computers but the Cochran Commander and the Gemini both allow you to replace the batteries without loosing residual nitrogen information. It assumes that you have fresh batteries on hand and replace the batteries before the batteries in the computer go completely dead. When you replace the batteries you need to be fairly quick about it, I seem to recall that when I asked Cochran the representative indicated that you would be fine if the Computer only had all of the batteries removed for about 2 or 3 minutes or less. He indicated that the computers may even retain the nitrogen information for as much as 10 to 15 minutes if you are lucky, he did however warn me that this was really stretching it and he was comfortable with the 2 to 3 minute reccomendation.

The Gemini has dual battery compartments on the tank unit and you can take as much time replacing the batteries on the tank unit so long as one set of good batteries remains in while you replace the other, as the dual battery compartments are configured in a redundant backup type arrangement, not concurrent usage arrangement. The wrist units are configured with only one battery compartment and this is where the 2 or 3 minute time frame is involved.

As I indicated I am not intimately familiar with the battery changing procedures on other computers, there may be others that allow you to replace low but still servicable batteries in the middle of an extended string of dives without loosing residual nitrogen information.

Frankly, if you are taking an extended dive trip it would be a good idea to replace the batteries BEFORE you even depart for the resort, while you are still at home. Batteries are relatively inexpensive, just buy two sets, one goes in the computer and the other set goes in the save a dive kit just in case. By the way, remember to put some silicone grease on the "O" ring when you replace those batteries so the battery compartment does not flood. I replace the batteries in my computer every year and a half or so, more often if I am planning either an extended trip or extremely cold dives. Cold water will degrade the performance of batteries so even relatevely fresh batteries will not perform like new.

The reason you would want to allow 24 hours before starting with a "fresh" computer is because the computer will assume that you have NO residual nitrogen in your body tissues. It will use the assumption that you have no residual nitrogen as the starting point for all of its calculations for any and all dives you make until you completely off gas to the baseline again. Remember, a computer will take you through a long string of dives tracking your residual nitrogen. If you give it a false starting point ALL of the calculations it will make will be incorrect relative to what is happening in your body. Is this really a game you want to play?

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

I would change the batteries and go back and use the tables from the beginning of my trip and follow the tables for the rest of the trip rather than quit diving for the day. The computer would be come my redundant system.

The tables are generally more conservative you should be fine.

Your situation is a good reminder to change your computer batteries before we leave and to always stay compentant at working the tables.

Happy New Year,

Dave

I change my batteries every year in advance. There is no sense in ruining
a several hundred or thousand dollar liveaboard or other trip due to $5 bucks
or less worth of batteries. I was on a trip a few years ago and a guy
on the boat aksed why his computer came on anf flashed and went back
off. I told him the batteries were probably dead and asked when the
last time he changed them were. His reply was that he had never changed
them before. heh. Of course he didn't have a spare set either.
He spend half thd dive also trying to clear his mask using a mask that
didn't fit at all, if that will tell you anything.

Another reason to change batteries often is newer batteries are
less likely to corrode while in your computer (or at least in theory).

I would not skip an entire day. I would simply extend the surface interval a little, and then plan the next dive using the repetitive dive tables, and then reduce whatever max bottom time the tables give you to add an extra margin of safety. If you can get the battery changed that day, you can and should go back to using the computer the next day.

Back
Top Bottom