cleaning an spg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i have an older large scubapro brass spg that i got about 6 dives ago from my lds.
i replaced the o-rings when i got it.
it developed a small leak and when i removed the pin, the interior o-ring had "crud" on it.
it looked like some plain dirt and some blueish stuff- probably corrosion. i carefully cleaned the opening as far in as i could.

my question is how does one clean an spg without driving the crud into the bourdon tube?

thanks

dt

dtdiver:
i have an older large scubapro brass spg that i got about 6 dives ago from my lds.
i replaced the o-rings when i got it.
it developed a small leak and when i removed the pin, the interior o-ring had "crud" on it.
it looked like some plain dirt and some blueish stuff- probably corrosion. i carefully cleaned the opening as far in as i could.

my question is how does one clean an spg without driving the crud into the bourdon tube?

thanks

dt

it's a delicate process. Realise that the bourdon tube in the gauge is reading a high PSI but its reading it in a much smaller area than a square inch. More like a pin head -- so if there is crud inside it might not be all that bad. But you dont want to get any liquid in the tube -- it will corrode and make a bad day when the face plate blows off.

To clean the SPG you need to suspend it with only the threads immersed in a weak cleaning solution in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then when you pick it up it must be with the opening down. Let it dry for 24 hours (that's what we do) before introducing gas to it. The stem can be cleaned in the bath completely immersed and then blown dry, same with the end of the hose with pressure from the 1st stage end (be careful not to let the hose whip around).

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom