Best computer from a software perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about computers on this forum and have learned a lot. One frequent complaint seems to be the software that you can use to log the dives on your desktop and the cost of the cables to connect the dive computer to your desktop/laptop/Palm.

So, a few questions. Do all computers use their own proprietary software? Is there any kind of standard piece of dive logging software that is shared among multiple computers? If they're all proprietary, whose is the best software in terms of stability, usefulness, ease of use, etc?

And these cables. Doesn't any dive computer use something standard like USB or firewire? Better yet, wireless standards like IRDA? If they're all proprietary, which one rips you off the least for this piece of equipment (the cable)? To me, it seems that if the cable costs $100, then I have to add that cost to the cost of my comp. It seems like a shady scam.

I would really like the computer I choose to work well and be user-friendly in the water, and also produce the most useful output and logging data it can. Also, I would prefer that the data cable not cost an arm and a leg. So...any thoughts? :D

Thanks in advance. :fro:
Gregg

I've been curious about the same thing. Anyone have opinions on price/quality of their computer's PC interface cable?

Just get a Sensus Pro and forget about download kits.

All the dive logging you want, it's cheap, works on every platform from Palm to Mac to Linux, you don't need a special computer, and you don't need to replace it when you get a different computer.

I dive with a Oceanic, a Dive Rite and a Suunto and my favorite is the suunto software by far. It has the most useful log of all of the ones I have seen IMO. The cable cost around $100 dollars but I think they pretty much all do. I never thought I would pay that much money for a cable.

The Uwatec software is very cool. You can D/L it for free. When you use the integrated air it shows you lots of cool stuff. The connector is a crappy Serial connector and very expensive though.

There are both IR and USB for computer connectors. Aeris uses USB I think.

With that said, after my first 20 dives or so it became not so relevant or cool. You can simply use a paper and pencil and get most of the information and save a bundle. I'm using the computer less and less ...

I'll have to look into the Sensus.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I would really like the computer I choose to work well and be user-friendly in the water, and also produce the most useful output and logging data it can. Also, I would prefer that the data cable not cost an arm and a leg. So...any thoughts? :D

I have a Uwatec SmartCom console model. I really like the large and easy to read display. You don't need any additional download cables as it downloads via irda and the dive log program is included. You can go to the uwatec website at http://www.uwatec.com/index-eng.htm and view a sample program. One of the program features I like best is the ability to review your exactly what your computer readings were at a specific point in the dive. I travel quite a bit on my own and also use the programs ability to attach pictures of my dive buddy to each dive.

The only downside is to make sure you turn down the breathing rate alarm (you cannot do this on the dive computer but must link to your dive log) prior to using the computer. It is quite sensitive and you will drive your buddy (and yourself) crazy with the constant alarm beeping!

Roz In Phx

The Suunto Dive Manager software is free to download and you can build an interface for less than US10.00.

miketsp:
The Suunto Dive Manager software is free to download and you can build an interface for less than US10.00.

How? Do you have plans on how to build it?

ZenDiver:
How? Do you have plans on how to build it?

I can't get at the links at the moment due to the firewall/Websense filter at work but if you go into Google and search for

roli suunto interface

you will start to find the pages.
This basic circuit has been well circulated. There are versions with comparators and simpler versions with just a few transistors and other discretes.
If you have problems let me know and I'll dig it out at home when I have time.
I built mine (simpler version) about a year ago and its been in regular use since on various computers. Never had any problems. The most complicated part was the connector. I filed an acrylic block to shape and used two professional miniature spring loaded test probes. These were also the most expensive part - about US$3.00 for the pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom