computer opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sherwood wisdom, suunto cobra, oceanic pro plus 2, aeris 2, uwatec aladin smart com ....
put picture of each one on the wall.. grab some darts.. and throw

if you want big numbers the wisdom and oceanic is good for blind people...( my mom stole my wisdom because she can read it, and she gave me a favor 2 i got ripped off )

My buddy (and best friend) has an Oceanic Data Pro Plus (or whatever the name was two years ago) and he loves it. It has such large readable numbers that I can read his air level (etc) without having to ask. He loves the way it calculates remaining time on the dive based on Nitrogen Loading, PPO, and remaining air. It calculates all three and displays the shortest remaining time. Real easy to recalibrate Notrox level etc.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_proplus.html

Our buddies in Florida bought the latest version when they got back into diving last summer. The Pro Plus models have too many features in my opinion, but those guys are gadget freaks and they love 'em.

I liked the huge display a lot, but I didn't want the air integrated so I opted for the Oceanic Versa Pro and I love it. We both use the same Quick Disconnect and they work great.

FWIW,

Wristshot

I've used these two extensively - Suunto Cobra and Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus - they are both very nice. Personally I prefer the bigger display and more aggressive algorithm of the Oceanic; the Cobra can be quite conservative on occasions, but I've never had any problems with it.

Hi Vie,

I read your previous reports about the Oceanic Atom. I was wondering if you got a replacement after yours flooded. Are you still using it ? Do you still like it ?

I'm asking because my wife is getting me an Atom for Christmas.

Thanks,
Zsolt

I have an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus that I've been diving for 5 years with no problems.
I love it !!! If I didn't I'd tell ya that too . . . .

zskiraly:
Hi Vie,

I read your previous reports about the Oceanic Atom. I was wondering if you got a replacement after yours flooded. Are you still using it ? Do you still like it ?

I'm asking because my wife is getting me an Atom for Christmas.

Thanks,
Zsolt

I got a replacement immediately from my LDS - my original Atom did not flood; it went crazy during my safety stop (at the end of a night dive) and switched itself off permanently. I have only done 4 dives with the replacement but yes, I'm still using an Atom (my girlfriend is using my Datamax Pro Plus). I like the Atom and it is generally easy to use. What I really DON'T like is the OceanLog program that comes with it - it is badly designed and has some weird quirks (when you manually enter dives - I've had no problems with downloading from the Atom itself). Anyway, the fact remains that my Atom failed during a dive and there has been a few failures reported on this board. My 2c would be: wait until Oceanic has ironed out all the problems before getting one.

Hi Vie,

Thanks for your quick reply. We will take this into consideration.

Zsolt

Vie:
I got a replacement immediately from my LDS - my original Atom did not flood; it went crazy during my safety stop (at the end of a night dive) and switched itself off permanently. I have only done 4 dives with the replacement but yes, I'm still using an Atom (my girlfriend is using my Datamax Pro Plus). I like the Atom and it is generally easy to use. What I really DON'T like is the OceanLog program that comes with it - it is badly designed and has some weird quirks (when you manually enter dives - I've had no problems with downloading from the Atom itself). Anyway, the fact remains that my Atom failed during a dive and there has been a few failures reported on this board. My 2c would be: wait until Oceanic has ironed out all the problems before getting one.

My wife and I both dive Oceanic Pro Plus 2's. The display is exceptionally large, which is really nice. Also, it has 12 dots in its nitrogen loading graph, which I really like. It's a little aggressive in it's nitrogen computations, which some people dislike, but which doesn't bother us. (We just plan to ascend once we're in the caution range) I'd probably check out the prices at LeisurePro for the computers recommended above and pick the one that was cheapest.

The quick disconnect is useful for copying data off of the computer into you're PC.

I started out with an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and loved it. My buddy and my brother still dive with one, then I upgraded to the VT Pro (essentially same computer but with a wireless air integration and wrist mount) and now moved to an Atom.

They are great computers, less conservative then others but then again your best dive computer should be your brain and you should make your own judgements.
Very easy to read, very good response, lot of features - worth getting the Pro Plus 2!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom