Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abysmal

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Abysmal. Has anyone used their computers. seems like a pretty good little box. but new hence failure prone????????

We all spend nine months living in water. It just makes sense to return to it.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Not at all, their computers are awesome. They've been around and have been used in certain "extreme" diving circles for years now and have been bullet proof.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Mario, The one thing that I wasen't able to figure out from their web site was is it Air integrated because if it is I think I may choose that over the Aladin Uwatec Z O2. I called the number on their web site and talked to Chris. (its only about 20 minutes from my house.) he offered to give me a tour of the place and let me play with one of their computers for a while. I think that I might just have to take him up on the offer.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    There currently is no such thing as an Air-Integrated Mixed-Gas dive computer. Your chioces are the Abysmal, the Dive Rite or the OMS computers. There's very little competition, and an even smaller market. The Uwatec computer is definitely an apple vs the oranges we've been talking about. What exactly do you intend to do with this computer?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I want it to make me toast in the morning before I go dive.. =-) But in all seriousness I want to get a computer that will allow me progress as much as possible with out switching computer systems the Abysmal supports air/nitrox/trimix. for about the same cost as the other computers that only do air/nitrox
    I would rather spend as much as nessacery <sp> now than purchase a computer and find out that I want a few more features in 6-8 months. I have already planned a few dive trips this year I figure that I will get in about 50-60 total dives this summer. (I have a lot of time off)My intention is to get in to tech diving and then take a rebreather course.

Registered

Working back into the sport

Dives
    200 - 499

Question

Mario,

Have you dove the explorer?

Eric

Divemaster
    Badge

is back in the water

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    If you are getting into rebreather, then you also need to look at the inspiration rebreather, and the computer designed for it (Buddy Nexus).

I think all the information is at
    http://www.apvalves.com

I suspect that different re-breathers need / operate with different computers, so it is probably worth catching the re-breather experts and talking to them before you buy a computer.

If I remember, the Nexus has two modes, constant FO2 and constant P02. This is something that no other computers that I am aware of do. It is also programable for mix changing during the dive, eg high %O2 for deco stops.

(Constant FO2 is air, nitrox or semi-closed rebreather, constant PO2 is closed-circuit rebreather)

It also will (unlike almost every other computer) let you change between modes in between dives, without waiting inordinate times.

If I can stop spending money on other things I will get one of these.

Just .02

Jon T

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I haven't had time to look at all the specs but that computer costs about 1/2 of the models that I have been looking at.. Which worries me a lot. 4 models that I checked out were priced out at about 1000-1450$.. this one is 450$ As far as the rebreathers go when I get that far I will probably end up with a drager they seem to be the only one really in the competative market at least in colorado.
    Just a few thoughts for now.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Eric,
    No I'm afraid I've never had the explorer in the water.

Regarding Rebreathers:
    I strongly recommend that if you are interested in rebreathers, you check out Steam Machines they are outstanding units. They also sold like hotcakes at Dema which said alot to me... I've visited the Steam Machines manufacturing location in Southern California, and had the opportunity to meet Peter and Sharon Readey. They run an excellent facility and really know their stuff.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Mario,
    I am getting the impression that you own a dive shop????
    If so do you/do you plan to carry Abysmal products?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast