Another computer question

Which Computer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is you guy's opinion on these computers:

Uwatec SmartPro
Suunto Vyper
Dive Rite Nitek Duo
Dive Rite Nitek Plus
Dive Rite Nitek3
Aeris Atmos 2

Basically what I want is a nitrox-capable computer that has the ability to provide 'real' decompression info. As in, not just locking out or saying that you need a stop but nothing else.

thanks!

teknitroxdiver:

Uwatec SmartPro
Suunto Vyper
Dive Rite Nitek Duo
Dive Rite Nitek Plus
Dive Rite Nitek3
Aeris Atmos 2

Basically what I want is a nitrox-capable computer that has the ability to provide 'real' decompression info. As in, not just locking out or saying that you need a stop but nothing else.

thanks!
It's not clear what you are really looking for. I looked at all of the above computers (as well as others) when I was trying to decide which one to purchase. All of them provide varying degrees of "decompression info". Have you downloaded the documentation for them? Have you downloaded the software? (FYI, the Duo and Plus are basically the same Seiko computer, just in a different package.)

I ended up selecting the Apeks Quantum (aka, NiTek Duo) because it has an easily readable display, an intuitive user interface and it supports two gas mixes. (My second choice was the Suunto Vyper and the third choice would have been the Vytec, notwithstanding the cost.) I'm not qualified for deco diving, but I would say they are only intended for "entry-level" deco diving or as a backup.

All that said, if you want a computer that's really intended for deco diving, the only one on your list is probably the NiTek 3. However, if that's what you're looking for, you should also look at the VR2/VR3, Cochrane Commander, and HS Explorer.

I'm really not looking for deco diving right now, but if I were to ever get into accidental deco, I would prefer to have some detailed information about where my stop(s) were, and I would be able use it for basic planned deco later on.

Thanks for your input.

I can not comment on most of these, but the Atmos 2.

This computer can be used for decompression diving, however It WILL lock up if you violate the decompression mode. That is defined as doing things that the computer was not designed for, so it can NOT determine how to get you into a safe mode.

For example, if you violate a decompression safety stop for more than a certain time (this from memory) or ascending above a deco safety depth, the computer will go into violation mode, and will not function for 24 hours.

IOW's if you are doing deco diving (and I have ZERO experinece in this) and you violate a safetly stop, the computer does NOT know how to handle that other than to go into violation mode, and lock up for 24 hours.

Not sure what you are looking for. In Gauge mode, you can dive to 330 feet, and it just works as a guage...

Ron

teknitroxdiver:

Uwatec SmartPro
Suunto Vyper
Dive Rite Nitek Duo
Dive Rite Nitek Plus
Dive Rite Nitek3
Aeris Atmos 2

thanks!

I use the SUUNTO Vyper and do quite a lot of dives where I go into some deco.
My deco dives are normally square profiles and are planned using CMAS tables and stops. The Vyper normally goes into deco mode at the right time and will give me a recommended ceiling, deco stop and total ascent time which helps with gas planning. However this will not be optimised to get you to the surface in the least time and the manual is clear that the Vyper is not intended for deco diving. Other computers on the market are.
Anyway, the interesting thing is that when I do the CMAS stops, in general there is good agreement between the table and the computer at the final stop.
Occasionally the Vyper will call for extra time at the final stop and I play it safe and extend the stop.
So IMO the Vyper will get you to the surface safely but not necessarily in an optimised manner. In this sense it meets my needs.

TekNitroxDiver,
My experience of tech divers is that they would not be trusting a computer for deco dives - they'd be using tables and/or using software to produce deco schedules. The planning for a deco dive would be very rigourous and they'd have a pretty good idea of a deco strategy before they got in the water. Just a thought and I may be wrong so don't take my word for it.

RonFrank:
I can not comment on most of these, but the Atmos 2.

This computer can be used for decompression diving, however It WILL lock up if you violate the decompression mode. That is defined as doing things that the computer was not designed for, so it can NOT determine how to get you into a safe mode.

For example, if you violate a decompression safety stop for more than a certain time (this from memory) or ascending above a deco safety depth, the computer will go into violation mode, and will not function for 24 hours.
Does it NOT FUNCTION, or does it simply go into GAUGE MODE?

I'm pretty sure that it will continue to provide time and depth info, at least until you have been on the surface for 5 or 10 minutes. Even after you have surfaced, lots of computers will continue to work in the gauge mode, even if their deco model has been violated and they can no longer provide guidance on decompression status. The 24 hour "lockout" or "gauge only" mode would restart every time you dive it in that mode.

Any computer that locks you out if you go into long decompression is not a decompression computer. They may give you a mandatory stop(s), but when compared to a real deco computer they are way more conservative. This 'mode' if you will is to keep the lawyers away, which should tell you they don't want you going into deco with their computers.

The Niteks are good computers for the money, and are designed to be used as a true decompression computer with gas switches depending on the model. The Nitek does have an annoying alarm that will go off at 1.6PO2 which sucks at MOD stops like 70 and 20. I don't think it can be turned off. They do have a easily readable screen.

The Suunto computers, while made for deco, are very conservative. Not a bad thing neccissarily, but it depends on what you want. I don't like the small faces on them, as I find them hard to read.

BTW, when putting a standard computer in 'gauge' mode, all you are doing is turning it into a bottom timer. For this, I recommend a watch or the Uwatec BT.

dbulmer:
TekNitroxDiver,
My experience of tech divers is that they would not be trusting a computer for deco dives - they'd be using tables and/or using software to produce deco schedules. The planning for a deco dive would be very rigourous and they'd have a pretty good idea of a deco strategy before they got in the water. Just a thought and I may be wrong so don't take my word for it.

I used to think this way, but my thoughts have changed. I will now be carrying a computer with backup bottom timer. I'll plan the dive with tables and carry them with me. I won't exceed the limits of the dive plan, but I'll end up diving with the cx. If it fails, I'll just revert back to the tables.

This strategy will give me credit for NT and shorten my deco obligations. You must use a true deco computer to do this reliably though. My buddy has practiced this method for some time, and I've seen the benefits first hand. I also planned a multi-level dive in the past with hard bottoms such as the sand and the deck. example - So many minutes between the sand and deck, and so many minutes above the deck. This worked nicely, but the depth between deck and sand and deck and superstructure could be 50' or more. You basically end up deco'ing as if you spent all the time in the sand and on the deck. A good safety factor, but a lot of time on the line or drifting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom