Reading bottom timer at night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, there's gotta be a better way, and I know the answer must be simple. Maybe somebody out there will enlighten me.

I have my bottom timer on my right wrist and on night dives, I carry my light in my right hand. When I ascend, I'm either venting air thru my bottom dump or inflator hose with my left hand. I can't read my bottom timer while I'm doing this. My Uwatec bottom timer doesn't light up like my compass does when you shine a light on it for a while.

I tried to carry the light in my left hand, but it's too hard to hold and dump air.

My buddy might kill me if I wore a light on my head because I'm sure to shine it in his/her eyes.

Are there any other options? I'm really stumped.

Why not put the bottom timer on your left hand, that way you can let go of the inflator hose for a second, shine the light at your timer to see what is going on, then grab the hose again.

Mike

kazinvan:
Why not put the bottom timer on your left hand, that way you can let go of the inflator hose for a second, shine the light at your timer to see what is going on, then grab the hose again.

Mike

Interesting you should mention that option. I tried on my last dive to put the bottom timer on my left hand with the compass. I liked the setup for a different reason (only one arm was bulky so it was easier to don the BC). However, it seems somewhat safer to have the BT on the right arm so I can dump and watch the ascent rate at the same time.

I prefer to have the bottom timer on the left arm as it keeps it out of the way more of the time if you are right handed. It also allows you to use the light on the right hand (cannister light with goodman handle) to view the slate and BT during the dive.

However it competed for arm space with the slate so I took a foot of 4" PVC and made a slate that would also accomodate the BT and use the BT strap to hold it all in place.

The Mini Q40/mask strap idea will work well for you, but won't be so hot for your buddies who get blinded every time you look at them.

Boomx, ha, ha! You've heard me whine enough so that you know better. :pity_part

DA Aquamaster:
I prefer to have the bottom timer on the left arm as it keeps it out of the way more of the time if you are right handed. It also allows you to use the light on the right hand (cannister light with goodman handle) to view the slate and BT during the dive.

However it competed for arm space with the slate so I took a foot of 4" PVC and made a slate that would also accomodate the BT and use the BT strap to hold it all in place.

The Mini Q40/mask strap idea will work well for you, but won't be so hot for your buddies who get blinded every time you look at them.

DA Aquamaster, it's good to hear other people like the BT on the left hand. Do you have a compass there, too? I already made me a PV slate (it doesn't have flip up pages though) but didn't go so far as to attach it to the BT. I like that idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom