Need a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToriiDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I need some advice about currently available dive computers. I haven't purchased a computer since 1989, a Skinny Dipper, and I've been away from diving for the past 7 or 8 years so I'm out of touch. I want to get back into diving and need to update and/or replace my equipment, starting with a new dive computer. My Skinny Dipper died and can't be revived. I'd welcome any advice and recommendations.

Suunto, makes great comps. So does Scubapro/Uwatec

Also ck out Oceanic

Some of the KEY features I look for are:

User replecable batts, wrist mount, PC downloadable (VERY important!!!)

WaterDawg:
Suunto, makes great comps. So does Scubapro/Uwatec

Also ck out Oceanic

Some of the KEY features I look for are:

User replecable batts, wrist mount, PC downloadable (VERY important!!!)

Thanks WaterDawg...how long have you been away from Okinawa?

I have an Aeris Atmos 2 that I absolutely love. The Suunto computers are nice, I just really like the layout of the Aeris/Oceanic ones. I'd suggest renting some to see which fit your style/tastes.

Derek S:
I have an Aeris Atmos 2 that I absolutely love. The Suunto computers are nice, I just really like the layout of the Aeris/Oceanic ones. I'd suggest renting some to see which fit your style/tastes.

Thanks...Good advice!

My wife has an Oceanic Versa Pro, I have the Suunto Vyper. Both do the job well and are pretty similar in functionality. If you read the board here you will see that the suunto is more conservative whereas the Versa Pro is more liberal. I find the Vyper's interface to be more intuitive, but you can get used to using either without much trouble. For the Vyper I didn't have to look in the manual to figure out basic operations though, whereas for the Versa Pro I had to look up how to navigate the menus. I think the Versa Pro is pretty much the same as the Aeris Atmos 2.

One advantage to the Versa Pro is that the numbers a very big and easy to see underwater. I can endorse either of these based on our experiences.

ToriiDiver,

Ive only been away like 3.5 months!!!
My avatar was taken at Onna and my profile pic at Maeda.

Alot of folks say Suuntos are conservative. BUt diving another comp isnt gonna make you body absorb less N2. I've done some dives where I tell the comp Im using air but actually use EAN and a deco gas and I can still clear it before surfacing so I hate to see what the other comps "allow" you to do.

Like I said before PC downloable is a biggie as I tend to belive that w/o it your only using half the comp, if thats not what your into then ck out the Suunto Gecko. (Id stay away from the Mosquito)

User R2 batteries are nice cause if you go on a trip you can just take a extra batt w/ you or whatever instead of having to send it back to the comapny.

Back
Top Bottom