Computer Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the most "modern" computer algorithm right now?

I went into another LDS yesterday to look at dive computers, and they told me that Suunto uses an older algorithm to model the dive, so they don't sell them. They sell uwatec computers. I'm not sure I understand the differences enough to really know what I'm getting into.

One would think that there aren't any "unsafe" computers being sold. But what is the "best" algorithm to look for? What brands use this algorithm?

So far, I'm liking the Suunto line, but I'm certainly not sold on anything in particular. I was also looking at an Aladin Prime or an Xtender (a bit pricey for me) too.

My guess is that they don't sell Suunto for any of a variety of reasons, and none of them have anything whatsoever to do with the algorithm they use.

Robert,

The most modern algorithm available in a wet computer is the "full-up" version of RGBM. The Suunto, unfortunately, only use a wrap-around model of it. This is not necessarily a criticism of the Suunto, just a note of information. To my knowledge, the only computer using the full version at the moment is the H-S Explorer, which is probably too expensive for your application.

Rob Davie

Wijbrandus:
What is the most "modern" computer algorithm right now?

I went into another LDS yesterday to look at dive computers, and they told me that Suunto uses an older algorithm to model the dive, so they don't sell them. They sell uwatec computers. I'm not sure I understand the differences enough to really know what I'm getting into.

One would think that there aren't any "unsafe" computers being sold. But what is the "best" algorithm to look for? What brands use this algorithm?

So far, I'm liking the Suunto line, but I'm certainly not sold on anything in particular. I was also looking at an Aladin Prime or an Xtender (a bit pricey for me) too.

If anything, the Suunto is one of the more conservative computers out there. My VyTec actually coincides with my IANTD tables quite well and it is taking into account that I am not diving a square dive (which the tables are designed as if you are).

As far as "unsafe" computers, I can name any off the top of my head. The fact of the matter is that you will likely be diving by some planning bottom time and depth anyways. The computer is a tool, but it is only one tool. I do know that some are more "aggressive" than others in what they "allow" for NDL. But, many of our tech divers reject the more conservative algorithims because they feel that they are TOO conservative and indicate a need for excessive deco stops.

And the last post is correct, the most modern version would be Reduced Gradient Bubble Model, but the computers that use a full version would likely be overkill for a "recreational" diver. Suunto does use a version which incorporates RGBM to some level though.

Robert,

If I remember correctly, you are pretty diving DIR. I wouldn't get a computer with all of the "bells and whistles" in any case if you plan to continue that trend. You will need a wrist mount that you can put into gauge mode for that diving style (to my knowledge). The algorithim won't matter with the computer in gauge mode.

Robert,

Yeah, that's what you really need. You can pay a lot of money for a computer so that you can "cripple" it. Now that makes sense! :eyebrow:

Rob Davie

BigJetDriver69:
Robert,

The most modern algorithm available in a wet computer is the "full-up" version of RGBM. The Suunto, unfortunately, only use a wrap-around model of it. This is not necessarily a criticism of the Suunto, just a note of information. To my knowledge, the only computer using the full version at the moment is the H-S Explorer, which is probably too expensive for your application.

Rob Davie

diverbrian:
Robert,

If I remember correctly, you are pretty diving DIR. I wouldn't get a computer with all of the "bells and whistles" in any case if you plan to continue that trend. You will need a wrist mount that you can put into gauge mode for that diving style (to my knowledge). The algorithim won't matter with the computer in gauge mode.

For the record, I make no claims to being DIR or even a techie. :) I have not taken a DIRF course. I simply appreciate many of the ideas that system has, and I anticipate an eventual shift in that direction. I already have and use a Uwatec Digital so a guage-mode capability is nice, but not a requirement, of a computer for me.

My main reason for interest in a computer is for my wife. She is strictly an 80/80 vacation and recreational diver. She is interested in a computer because for her purposes, it will allow her to float along the reef wall with less effort. We do plan our dives ahead of time, but a computer allows for more freedom in a typical reef dive. I'm also interested in one for these same reasons, but she's planning on buying one before our next trip, which is why we were in different shops this weekend checking them out. For a drift dive, I see no reason not to use a computer.

So what I'm reading is, both Uwatec and Suunto use the same algorithm to model a dive?

Robert,

Almost any of the quality computers will suffice. I don't know for certain if the Suunto and Uwatec units use the same algotrithm. Perhaps one of our readers who has experience with those computers can fill you in.

I might suggest the Oceanic Versa Pro. It is simple to use, has user-replaceable batteries, a good display, and does either air or Nitrox. It comes in at a good price point as well.

Cheers!

Rob Davie

I'm pretty sure that Suunto and Uwatec do NOT use the same algorithm. Suunto used a modified version of the RGBM model (I hear Suunto's are the most conservative). The Uwatec's use the Bühlmann ZH L-8 ADT algorithm.

I currently own two Oceanics (Pro Plus 2 & Versa Pro 2.0) which are known for having the most relaxed algorithms out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom