Recommendations for Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcpol

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've rented a Suunto in the past. Does anyone have favorite models/ other brands. I'm new to diving but well on my way to obsession - a computer is in the cards, it's just a matter of when and which one.

Thanks
Jim

jcpol:
I've rented a Suunto in the past. Does anyone have favorite models/ other brands. I'm new to diving but well on my way to obsession - a computer is in the cards, it's just a matter of when and which one.

Thanks
Jim

I would go with an air intergrated / nitrox capable computer.

Some good choices would include the Suunto Cobra, Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or the Aeris.

I just purchased the Pro Plus 2, and have not dived it yet. I tried the Atom but it died within 48 hours (it did okay on the dives). It was probably just a defective unit but I decided a larger display, lower cost, and less chance of issues with 2 devices with batteries was the way to go. Because I had store credit upon returning the Atmo, I pretty much had to choose from what they had, otherwise I might have bought the Cobra.

The Pro Plus 2 has a great display, very simple interface, and is easy to set up for a dive. You can set a variety of alarms which are quite nice. The software however is pretty lame. I like the Suunto software better.

I don't have the Cobra but I have two Vypers (also good choices but no air integration). I like these computers and they now act as backups to the new oceanics. They are a little more cumbersome to navigate than the oceanic, but I like the dive master software better. Instead of Vypers I would probably choose the stinger next time around if I didn't want air integrated.

I purchased Scubase (do a search) and will use it to bring in the logs from both computers.

Price range and options will have a lot to do with what computer you choose. Whatever you do make sure you get a nitrox capable system.

I did alot of research and chose the Aeris Atmos Elite.

It works great for me.

i like wrist mount, have the Suunto Vpyer and love it, most of the guys i dive with have the same and no-one has a bad thing to say about it..

jcpol:

Thanks
Jim

check this site out it has a lot of good info on most of the big computers out there.
p.s. the wife and i use the cobra, we dive two trips a year and safty and reliability were are big wants, not 5 mins more bottom time. good luck
mike
http://www.underwaterbob.com/dive_computers.htm

jcpol:

Thanks
Jim
Just picked up the Atmos 2. Havent used it yet so Ican't say how great it is from experience but a few people I know like it a lot. I will still keep my analog gages though.

jcpol:

Thanks
Jim

Hi.

Over the past 10 years i have had a number of suunto dive computers,

Solution

Solution Alpha

Favor

and now the Vytec with air intergration.

They have all functioned great, without any problems.

You need to make a few decisions about what features you want.

The majority of Suunto computers come with Dive Manger, this is a wonderful piece of software. it allows you to print your dive profiles and document your dive.

The Geeko (might be spelled wrong) is a nice computer, but you can't download your dive profile into a computer.

Air intergartion or no air intergration, the models that have this ability are expensive but its very reassuring being able to see your remainig air time.

Another feature you might be interested in checking on is the computers memory. Not all computers have a large memory capacity.

Oh, another feature to look out for, User replaceable battery, some computers require you to send them to the factory to have the battery replaced. So look for one that you can change the battery yourself. Its gets expensive and time consuming shiping your computer back to the factory to replace a battery and having to wait for it to be returned to you, sometimes it takes weeks.

I have never owned any other brand other than Suunto, i hope this helps. If not surf the web and see whats out and what gets your attention.

christopher520

Oceanic Versa Pro - Have been diving this computer for over a year, about 60 dives, and am extremely pleased w/ it. Did a lot of research before I settled on this one. Very easy to read at depth and the algorithm tends to be on the more liberal side which can be a plus for multilevel dives. Can channge the battery yourself. All in all a great computer.

Have been diving with an Oceanic Pro Plus - would like to upgrade to the Pro Plus 2 but no need as of yet - pro plus works great - nice easy to read, all the information you need. I had a wrist mount but went to ai and wouldn't go back.

montyb

jcpol:

Thanks
Jim

You need to make a few decisions and write down the answers. After you do that your options will be reduced to a managable level.

1) What algorithum do you like? RGBM? Something else? Can you use a liberal computer or do you want one that is more conservative. After all computation is the #1 job of the computer if it does not do that the way you want, why care about if you can download to your PC or how many buttons it was? So... decide on algorithm(s) you like before going to step #2.

2) Console or wrist mount?

3) Are your eyes good enough to read small print under water. Mine are not, so with me
anything that does nt have large print is out. Likewise, do you dive with thick gloves
and canyou work the controls with them on. (I've seen some small bottoms on some
computers.)

4) Do you ever plan to be nitrox certified? If yes then get a computer that does nitrox.

5) Air integrated or not? Conservative divers might prefer a mechanical SPG. Those into gadgets and computers might trust a complex computer. You decide or let you budget decide

At this point you have not yet looked at the varous brands of computers. Next step is to match up what is on the market to what you desided above. It should be easy as you'd be hapy with any of them.

Don't listen to people who say "My XXX is god I like it." They may have different needs then you.

Bottom line is that almost anything will work well enough. My computer is far to liberal for my taste but no big deal I just don't ever run the NDL down to zero

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom