Is Air Integration THAT important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryker

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been considering dive computers for a few weeks now, and am down to 2 choices -- The Suunto Cobra and the Suunto Vyper.

They pretty much do the exact same thing (from what I get) with the exception of the air integration.... Now my question is, if I pay good attention to my SPG, will I get the same benefit with the Vyper (also saving $200) as with the Cobra?

I am really into the idea of the wrist mount computer, but am not ready to spend $800+ on a hoseless computer... Any objective input would be greatly appreciated...

Stryker:
I have been considering dive computers for a few weeks now, and am down to 2 choices -- The Suunto Cobra and the Suunto Vyper.

They pretty much do the exact same thing (from what I get) with the exception of the air integration.... Now my question is, if I pay good attention to my SPG, will I get the same benefit with the Vyper (also saving $200) as with the Cobra?

I am really into the idea of the wrist mount computer, but am not ready to spend $800+ on a hoseless computer... Any objective input would be greatly appreciated...

Seth,

The Cobra is a very fine computer, and very easy to use. It is nice to have it all on one "dial", so to speak. If you get it, get the quick dis-connect to go with it. I makes it easy to remove from the hose, and easier to protect it in transport.

Cheers!

Rob Davie

If you regularly check your SPG you really have no need of a tank pressure read out on your wrist IMO. By regularly I mean at set intervals Soon you will develop a feel for what your SPG will read before you look at it... in fact that is something you should practice doing.

Now being a pilot, I am used to "regularly" checking gauges/instruments.... I am used to have 8-12 different gauges to manage... I dont feel that it will be a problem at all, but I would like to know if I will get the same benefit from both of them... I know the Cobra takes into account how hard you breathe, but will I still be able to "judge" how much air I have with a computer that is NON-air integrated?

I can and I expect you could do even better than me.

Even when I switch from a single 104 to double 72s or a single AL80 I can call my pressure either dead on or at least within 50 psi. And yes, even with changing work load and depth.

And it really isn't hard to judge how much time you have left after you've been doing it for a while. It just kinda becomes intuitive if you know what I mean.

For all practical purposes an SPG that reads in 100# increments gives you a 50# resolution and that is more than close enough.

Well I have to say you have definitely lived up to the title "voice of reason".... I am feeling that with the $200 price difference that I get more functionally and economically out of the Vyper.... I had a feeling that the air integration played a LARGE part in the calculated bottom time from the computer...

Then I thought of something I have been told several times... You are typically limited on your bottom time by the air you carry (esp since right now I only dive singles).... And since I will not be doing any deco. dives, I am starting to think that the air inegration is just an added "bonus"... any thoughts?

Plus if I get the Vyper, its a wrist mount, so dont have to worry about the quick disconnect.. :wink:

Let me save you some money and time. Most divers that get a hoseless AI end up buying a bkup SPG ANYWAY just in case the hoseless computer fails, eventhough many bought the hoseless to avoid having more hoses! Follow me? If I had to do it over, I wouldn't do the hoseless AI thing. Wrist mount with a small spg is what I would do. That said, like the Vyper, my Atmos Elite is a very cool hoseless computer. Too expensive, but cool. I will also add that, much to my surprise, I haven't lost signal once yet. Surprisingly reliable technology THUS FAR. I still use a bkup spg though. :wink: Good luck with your decision. DSAO!

Sorry--edit--confused vyper and vytec computers---duh!

A couple of years ago I got a AI Uwatec NitroxZ. I used it for a few dives. Then I got an SPG and took off the AI feature. Now I use the computer only as a bottom timer and depth gauge. Wish I had saved the money in the first place.

I personally don't like or recommend people buying the consoles. It is much better to have your depth and bottom info located on your wrist - right wrist. You can easily see it at all times and if you are changing your buoyancy with your left hand you can keep an eye on the gauge.

Thank you for the objective opinion... I know how some people get soo wrapped up in the computer that they purchased, that they feel that no other computer comes close to it.... I feel confident now in buying a NON air integrated computer.... Being in the military and not made of money, its hard to have the "best" equipment, but I sure try.. :wink: haha thanks to everyone for your input...

OE2X you just brought something to my attention that I did not think of before... the buoyancy issue is fairly important and with a console you cant control both that and pay attention to the computer at the same time.... esp on ascent you need to pay attention to the depth for when you reach the safety stop depth.... You just added fuel to my fire to pick the wrist mount... thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom