Why do we call them computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
I hijacked another thread, then thought that this might make an interesting discussion in it's own right.

The question is, why do we call them dive 'computers?'

I have a book titled “Mathematics and Computers,” published in 1957, that generally defines a computer as any device that computes. So it considers an abacus or Pascal’s Calculating Machine to be a ‘computer.’ It has a picture of a mechanical calculator that looks like a pepper grinder, complete with crank on top, and mechanical switches all around the perimeter. The title on the picture reads, “A Small-Scale Digital Computer.” My, how our terminology has changed! By their definition the PADI Wheel qualifies as a computer.

However, in general today we seem to define a 'computer' as a general-purpose computing device, like your PC. Devices dedicated to specific functions are generally not seen as 'computers.' For instance, a high-end, touch screen, universal remote control has a microcontroller, memory, keypad, LCD display, etc. but no one calls it a computer.

Dive ‘computers’ are dedicated devices much like the high-end remote control, so it seems to me that they go against the general modern definition of what we call a computer.

I would venture to say that digital depth gauges also have microcontrollers, memory, input devices, and displays. Internally they are much the same as a dive 'computer,' they just have more limited capabilities and functionality. So why do they not get ‘computer’ status?

Seems to me that digital depth gauges and dive computers are in the same category, whether we call them gauges or computers.

Slow day, 3dent???
Happy St. Paddy's . . . :approve_2

It's a computer because it, quite literally, computes your dive data as you go to provide you with valid information.

Like a flight computer in a plane, or a wrist computer for a mountaineer, or something like that. Technically a calculator or digital watch is a computer, but in a sense they don't actively compute relevant data to tell you something you can't figure out on your own, if that makes sense. They also allow the user to input data or change settings, scroll through menus, etc.

Also, there really aren't any other good terms. A dive computer is not a watch, it's more than a gauge, it's not a remote control.

Computers are generally defined as having the following characteristics...

Can respond to a specific set of instructions in a predictable manner.
Can execute a set of instructions (program).

A loose defination is a device that can accept input, display output, and has a CPU, memory, and storage.

A depth gauge does not really fit the definition as it lacks a CPU, and the ability to really execute a set of commands (program).

A dive computer is exactly that. They generally run simulations, stores dive data, and performs a number of programs with variables controlled by the user (like mixed gas input).

In any event.. have a good St. Patricks Day!!

jonnythan:
It's a computer because it, quite literally, computes your dive data as you go to provide you with valid information.

As opposed to a depth guage, which reads pressure and computes your depth. No, wait...

jonnythan:
Technically a calculator or digital watch is a computer, but in a sense they don't actively compute relevant data to tell you something you can't figure out on your own, if that makes sense.

What does a dive computer calculate that you can't figure out on your own? Depth is the only thing I can think of, and that, again, would be the same as a depth gauge.

jonnythan:
They also allow the user to input data or change settings, scroll through menus, etc.

You might have something on this one. I guess it comes down to functionality, not hardware. But it's still really hard to draw the line.

The flight computer and mountaneering computer don't have user input. So why are they computers?

Why isn't a GPS receiver a computer?

RonFrank:
Computers are generally defined as having the following characteristics...

Can respond to a specific set of instructions in a predictable manner.
Can execute a set of instructions (program).

A loose defination is a device that can accept input, display output, and has a CPU, memory, and storage.

A depth gauge does not really fit the definition as it lacks a CPU, and the ability to really execute a set of commands (program).

Beg to differ. A modern depth gauge does have a CPU (microcontroller, just like a dive 'computer'), accepts input (pressure sensor), and executes a set of commands (program), has memory, and displays output.

BTW the 1957 reference was an attempt to show a timeline, and how our definitions have changed.

Flight computers and wrist computers do have significant user input..

Anyway, how about this answer:

"What would YOU call them if not computers?"

jonnythan:
Flight computers and wrist computers do have significant user input..

I'm not familiar with either. What user input does mountaneering wrist computer have?

jonnythan:
Anyway, how about this answer:

"What would YOU call them if not computers?"

I guess my view is not that we shouldn't call computers computers, but that maybe we should call digital depth gauges computers as well.

As The Kraken observed, this is just a mental exercise on a slow day.

However, I've seen people on this board quick to make a distinction, or point out the 'mistake' when someone calls a computer a gauge, or vice-versa, and I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

The terminology is probably all just driven by marketing, just like everything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom