New diver with equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie. Well, I just got certified two months ago and have decided to start buying my own gear instead of renting. A guy I know from work said he wants $450 for his regulator set-up; it includes an Aqualung second stage and octopus, the hook up to the BC, the DIN style valve thingy, and the big seller for me is a dive computer made by Oceanic, it's a "dana max pro" I think. It is in almost perfect condition, and he has receipts proving the yearly servicing. So what do you guys think, should I buy it or is he asking too much money? I appreciate your time.

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to the board!!!!!!!! Will we see you on the 2 day Encore trip next month?

You should get some good feedback from the folks here. If you can locate the model number of the first and second stages, that will help.

dani68charger:
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie. Well, I just got certified two months ago and have decided to start buying my own gear instead of renting. A guy I know from work said he wants $450 for his regulator set-up; it includes an Aqualung second stage and octopus, the hook up to the BC, the DIN style valve thingy, and the big seller for me is a dive computer made by Oceanic, it's a "dana max pro" I think. It is in almost perfect condition, and he has receipts proving the yearly servicing. So what do you guys think, should I buy it or is he asking too much money? I appreciate your time.

Hi and welcome to all ,

First are you also buying a HP tank with a Female Din Valve ? If so good deal you will be ready to dive . If not it is hard to find Rental Tanks with Female Din Valve ,so your used First stag and Octo , Computer Rig will be Useless , Unless you have a tank already with Female Din Valve ?

Do you really need a HP = Din 1st stage + Din valve tank or a Yoke 1st stage and K valve ?
First step how much air do you use ? How long would you like to stay down with in the No Decompression Limits ? How long can your buddy stay down ? What kind of diving
are you really wanting to do ? Special Equipment ? Added Weight ? How much Lift will
you need from your BCD ? Will you need 2 HP ports on you 1st stage ?
Ask yourself these questions and more don't rush , think about what you really need and then set out on finding the equipment that will make you happy for many years and keep you safe and out of harms way. Buy in this manner and you will have no regret's and no need to buy additional equipment later that you wish you would have bought before . My easy buy steps 1. IS IT USER FRIENDLY. 2.PRONE TO DAMAGE OR JUST BAD DESIGN . 3. WELL KNOWN PRODUCT NAME / WHICH SHOULD TRANSFER TO
GOOD PRODUCT SUPPORT =UPDATES = EASY ACCESS TO REPLACEMENT PARTS AND
EASY IN SHOP REPAIR . IMPORTANT YOUR EQUIPMENT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE CARE AND MAINTANCE YOU PUT INTO IT . 4. CAN YOUR LOCAL SHOP SERVICE AND REPAIR THIS EQUIPMENT = NOT HAVING TO SHIP YOUR 1ST /2ND STAGE/ BACKUP 1ST STAGE ALSO SOME COMPUTERS REQUIRE ANUAL SERVICE THEN WAITING FOR WEEKS
FOR YOUR EQUIPMENT. YOU CAN PASS ON THE TANK VALVE CHOICE BY PURCHASING
A PRESS STEEL E SERIES STEEL HP TANK 65CF/ 80CF/ 100CF/ 119CF/ 120CF OR 130CF
THESE TANKS HAVE A SCREW IN ADAPTER YOU CAN USE A DIN OR YOKE FIRST STAGE

Just my 2 cents . My longest dive/ night dive 1hour 48min's depth 30ft
a 2 buddy, Lobster dive . I had 130cf of air

Please forgive me as I am new to this whole dive thing, but the whole regulator set-up hooks up to just the "regular" tanks I have been using throughout my whole certification lessons. They don't really seem hard to find, as two shops near me have them. Maybe I used the wrong terms to describe the set-up.
To answer your questions, my instructor was amazed at how little air I used last time we were out. We were under for about an hour, at 45 feet I think. We were at a place my instructor calls "The Meat Locker" becuase of the number of edible, legal fish. We were spearfishing for sheephead, halibut and Calico bass, it was awesome. All on only my second dive!! We caught a giant scallop too.
But I'm getting off topic. I don't plan on diving very often as work, school and volunteer work take up a huge amount of my time. UCLA is demanding. So I plan to dive every couple of months, go sightseeing and spearfishing on those dives, and the equipment seems to meet your other criteria. I think I'm going to buy it. Thank you guys for your suggestions.

A few more questions:

Does anybody have any good tips for spearfishing halibut; for example, good spots in southern CA to go for them, where (besides sand, obviously) to look for them while in the water, etc. Maybe I'm on the wrong board for this. But nobody on the internet is giving up any hints. Please help me out!

Secondly, I've heard really good things about the boat "The Peace" here in southern CA. Does anybody want to share their experiences, good or bad, on their trips on that boat? I'd like to look into going out with them and want to hear other's stories. Thanks!!

Price doesn't look too bad just given the info you have provided. However, I find that SCUBA gear holds value very well and that new gear (with a warranty) can FREQUENTLY be found for just slightly higher than what you would buy it used. In person or especially online. I personally think it is always better to pay a little bit more for new gear with a warranty. Plus, you may get other perks by buying from a shop, like free service and friendship.

All that said, I also suggest that if you know you are hooked and will be diving alot, then rent for a little bit, even just a month or two, and then buy what you want the FIRST time around. Many divers selling used gear are actually just getting rid of something they bought because they didn't buy what they wanted in the first place. This is why renting for even a small amount of time is very useful.

Mark my words, if you go cheap and get hooked, you will end up buying what you wanted to buy in the first place and be out MORE money in the long run. I believe that 99.9% of divers will agree with this. JMHO's. WELCOME!

dani68charger:
A guy I know from work said he wants $450 for his regulator set-up

hi, you've gotten some good advice, so i'll just chime in with this $.02 worth:

after some quick searches, you would probably be looking at about $650 minimum
to get into comparable equipment, new.

if you want to go that route, i would recommend talking to Larry at scubatoys.com and seeing what he can do for you. he gives a 10% ScubaBoard discout if you ask for it.

that said, Aqualung makes reliable products, as does Oceanic.

best of luck!

I forgot that you will also need to have all this used gear serviced ASAP and that cost will bring you close to the cost of new gear.

dani68charger:
Please forgive me as I am new to this whole dive thing, but the whole regulator set-up hooks up to just the "regular" tanks I have been using throughout my whole certification lessons. They don't really seem hard to find, as two shops near me have them. Maybe I used the wrong terms to describe the set-up.
To answer your questions, my instructor was amazed at how little air I used last time we were out. We were under for about an hour, at 45 feet I think. We were at a place my instructor calls "The Meat Locker" becuase of the number of edible, legal fish. We were spearfishing for sheephead, halibut and Calico bass, it was awesome. All on only my second dive!! We caught a giant scallop too.
But I'm getting off topic. I don't plan on diving very often as work, school and volunteer work take up a huge amount of my time. UCLA is demanding. So I plan to dive every couple of months, go sightseeing and spearfishing on those dives, and the equipment seems to meet your other criteria. I think I'm going to buy it. Thank you guys for your suggestions.

A few more questions:

Does anybody have any good tips for spearfishing halibut; for example, good spots in southern CA to go for them, where (besides sand, obviously) to look for them while in the water, etc. Maybe I'm on the wrong board for this. But nobody on the internet is giving up any hints. Please help me out!

Secondly, I've heard really good things about the boat "The Peace" here in southern CA. Does anybody want to share their experiences, good or bad, on their trips on that boat? I'd like to look into going out with them and want to hear other's stories. Thanks!!

Dani ,
1st stage is a pressure regulator that attaches to the Tanks K valve or Female Din valve by a Yoke fitting or Male Din screw fitting . I hope this is easier and understood ,
I hope your computer has user replaceable battery's , I hate waiting for gear that
has to send out to be repaired or serviced. Battery's like dies on vaction or on a dive boat trip . I alway's carry backup equipment and battery's , I don't rely on other's .

If you have gills like aquaman2 and donot need large qty's of air , look in to a pressed
steel high pressure E series 65cubic foot Tank . If your small this tank is purfect cats meow, 16.75 inches high 25lbs full and -6.4lbs full and -1.5 empty . If you need alittle more air to share with the fish get the E-series 80cubic foot tank at only 20 inches high 28lbs full -8.5 lbs full and -2.5 empty price $199 from internet link below.
All this translates into less weight on your belt or in your BCD weight pocket ,which
also means less stress and weight overall on your back hiking up and down stairs
ladders , moving from your car to the garage , boat . a average Alumunium 80 tank
is 26inches high 35 lbs full -1.8 lbs full ,++4 lbs empty or ++3lbs at 500psi .
Let's do the math say your weight is 100lbs x 11 percent of that is 11lbs + 4lbs to off set the bouncy of your tank =15 lbs of weight add your gear ? 15lbs + 35 tank =50lbs
is half your weight. Now let's do this right you= 100lbs x 11percent=11lb + 65cf tank full 25lbs =36lbs . The 80 E series = you 11 lbs + 28lbs=39lbs These figure are aprox.
all depending on 7mm ,6.5mm ,5mm , Hooded vest . I always like alittle extra weight
I don't like blowing through a 15ft safety stop , because your underweighted. Don't
laugh seen it happen . I hate Alumunium tanks , I have Steel High Presser 100cf & 119cf and a Alumunium 30cf pony bottle a little insurance when deep.

Hope I Shined a little light with my 2cent's
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/steel.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom