cobra upload - huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrragon

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just started using a computer, a cobra, and it seemed to be working fine in the water. I uploaded the data into a computer with windows 95. The first dive uploaded with my max depth at 386 feet. The real dive and the computer reading at the time was max at 35 feet. From the surface, the first reading on the upload was 14 feet. The rest of the readings were consistently bad for that dive. I must have died from that profile.

The second dive was more accurate but the pressure readings were different than what was on the cobra at the time of the dive. The depth and temp seemed ok on the cobra and the upload.

Are there any ways to correct this and get consistency as well as accuracy or do I need to bang the side of the cobra?

drrragon:
I just started using a computer, a cobra, and it seemed to be working fine in the water. I uploaded the data into a computer with windows 95. The first dive uploaded with my max depth at 386 feet. The real dive and the computer reading at the time was max at 35 feet. From the surface, the first reading on the upload was 14 feet. The rest of the readings were consistently bad for that dive. I must have died from that profile.

The second dive was more accurate but the pressure readings were different than what was on the cobra at the time of the dive. The depth and temp seemed ok on the cobra and the upload.

Are there any ways to correct this and get consistency as well as accuracy or do I need to bang the side of the cobra?

Hmmm....I assume you are talking about a Suunto Cobra, so what version of SDM are you using? I'd also confirm the data is accurate in the Cobra (just as a precaution) via the Memory menu. I have given up on SDM 2.x as its buggy and doesn't import well from previous versions, so I am still on SDM 1.6...cumbersome but seems reliable.

My last recommendation, but one not likely to solve your problem, upgrade your OS to something a little more current. I assume you are run Win95 on an old, slow box, so maybe Win98SE....avoid WinME.

Otter:
Hmmm....I assume you are talking about a Suunto Cobra, so what version of SDM are you using? I'd also confirm the data is accurate in the Cobra (just as a precaution) via the Memory menu. I have given up on SDM 2.x as its buggy and doesn't import well from previous versions, so I am still on SDM 1.6...cumbersome but seems reliable.

My last recommendation, but one not likely to solve your problem, upgrade your OS to something a little more current. I assume you are run Win95 on an old, slow box, so maybe Win98SE....avoid WinME.

Windows 95 is the source of all things "buggy" also avoid Windows 98. Upgradde to Windows 2000 or XP, you'll be gald you did, for many reasons other than dive software. In my opoinion Windows 2000 is absolutely the most stable but there are software packages that do not run at all on it (mostly games).

diverdizzy:
Windows 95 is the source of all things "buggy" also avoid Windows 98. Upgradde to Windows 2000 or XP, you'll be gald you did, for many reasons other than dive software. In my opoinion Windows 2000 is absolutely the most stable but there are software packages that do not run at all on it (mostly games).

SDM is version 1.4. The old box with win95 is slow but not for the upload, I mean reasonably OK in speed, so that is not an issue yet. I have another computer with 98SE, so I'll try that one soon. When I upgraded to 2000, it went nuts so I won't try that again. I have access to a notebook with XP but I don't have the adapter for serial - USB yet.

These old computers do have the serial ports. Maybe the Suunto Cobra upload and/or DSM will fix themselves. If not on these old boxes, then I will have to find an adapter and try again with XP. If not then I will have to check with Suunto or you guys again for another solution. Thanks for your ideas.

Ok, first off, update SDM to either 1.6 or 2.1.5 (both available from suunto.com).

It seems 2.1.5 has resolved most (all?) of the buggy issues we've seen so far... that said, it may also require something newer than Win95.

The second dive was more accurate but the pressure readings were different than what was on the cobra at the time of the dive.

IIRC, the Cobra doesn't actually record the tank pressure, other than dive start and dive end. SDM then uses the average SAC to determine the pressure at any given point in the dive. Of course, this is just what I remember reading... I may be wrong! :)

I know that the D9 is the only Suunto computer to record temperature at regular intervals. The others just do three points: dive start (presumably air temp); max depth; dive end (presumably surface-water temp).

I did what PPO2 did, and, guess what, it worked. At least the graphs seem more realistic and almost accurate from what I remember from the original dive.

I'll upgrade to SDM 1.6 for now and see how that goes. I'll check with Suunto to see what difference there is between the 1.6 and the 2.x.

Thanks for the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom