Computer Users: How Often Do you PLAN repet dives with your computer?

In real repetitive dive sequences, do you trust the DM or calculate limits yourself?

• Rely on DM 90-100% of time. Calc (with tables or dive computer) 10% of time or less.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Rely on DM 50% or more of time. Calc for myself less than 50% of time.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Rely on my own calc (computer or table) 50% of time or more. Don’t trust DM’s calcs

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Rely on my own calc (computer or table) all/almost all the time. Don’t trust DM’s calcs

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newhampster

Contributor
Reaction score
On repetitive dive sequences that are led by a dive master (i.e., not you or your buddy and dives where you're not a 'student'), do you just rely on (trust) the "divemaster" or do you plan each one of your dives?

Fess up. From what I see on dive boats, neither table users nor computer users do any real dive planning. (Making most of the b*tching about computers versus tables a theoretical question that should be ditched on this board.)

COMPUTER USERS:

How many folks use their computers to really "plan" their 2nd and subsequent dives in a repetitive sequence?

While you're sitting in your SI (surface interval) after one dive, do you check your computer to understand what it thinks you can safely dive at the projected depth of your next dive?

Be honest here. I suspect, before we get any data, that a majority of computer users don't bother PLANNING with their computer, the 2nd and subsequent dives in a repetitive sequence.

NON-COMPUTER USERS:

If you're doing multiple, repetitive dives and you're not the dive master and you're not 'in training', how often do you plan your a dive with the tables instead of just trusting the dive master who's "running" the dive?

POLL Options Expanded:

On repetitive dives, for the 2nd or subsequent dives in a repetitive series:

1 -- I always or almost always rely on the divemaster (90% to 100% of the time). I generally don't doublecheck (or second guess) the DM by manually running the tables or using the planning feature of my dive computer for my second or subsequent dives in a repetitive sequence.

2 -- I usually rely the divemaster (50 to 90% of the time, I just go along, I don't doublecheck...)

3 -- I usually don't rely on the divemaster (i.e., I doublecheck more often than I trust...)

4 -- I always or almost always (90% of the time or more) run the tables or use the planning features of my dive computer...

I think that this is a great question and I would have to agree with many of your comments about planning on a boat. I have not done a lot of diving yet (almost 75) but most of it has either been in southern florida or around North Carolina.

First I was always taught that you should plan your dive(s) and dive you plan(s). If this is repetitve then you should plan for that. I have rarely found that I can plan more then one dive at a time because I never get the info from the DM far enough ahead of time. I do use a computer a ofter look at it when doing dives deeper then 35-40 ft. Usually because my air consumption equals the time of my No-Deco time. On occasion I have failed to check and trusted the DM because my computer tells me how many minutes I have left of No-Deco time while I dive.

Several times I have checked my "square" dive tables and found out that according to them I have far passed (10-15 min) my no deco time. I think that with computers being able to give as much information while diving that this pre-dive planning is quickly being forgotten. I have often seen AOW students never or rarely check any tables or computer before diving. Maybe its time to remind everyone that this should be done.

I do my own calculations, with tables or the Wheel, or sometimes with my computer. I don't like following the DM around like a sheep following... hmm, another sheep.

I'm not a very trusting person. I don't believe DMs are infallible (I don't believe I'm infallible, either, but if we both do the maths, we can double-check the answer). Also, things don't always go to plan. What happens if my dive profile is slightly different from the DMs? What happens if the DM has to go up early, but my buddy and I have plenty of air and want to carry on?

It only takes a couple of minutes to plan a dive. It's time well spent, IMO.

Zept

It's not that I don't trust the DM. It's just that I take responsiblity for myself.. Planing takes so little- yet gives so much. :D

I 100% do not trust anyone but my buddy to make any calculations for me.I do not trust 99% of the DMs I've met and might trust 20% of the instructors I've met.That is one of the reasons I only have 4 dives with a DM/Instructor other than training dives.As for the planning anything under 60' gets no planning other than pre-dive checks.Everything else gets planned to the minute with updates as the dive unfolds.All that being said most of my dives other than fossilling,lobstering and springs are either max NDL or deco dives.Not trying to be a PITA but have rescued and transported to the hospital folks who let someone else plan thier dive for them.It's a small risk ,but why take it .

I TRUST NO ONE........... I do all my calculations myself.... with the help of my trusty tables and of course my even trustier (is that a word?) VYTEC....

:D

I can't vote. I'm a DM and I use a computer. Are you missing a catagory for the DM's out there? As a DM we use our computers and tables in our club. We do not do the calculations for the divers but we check their dive profiles that they have supplied.

TTFN
O2diver

Being a DM, I definatley don't want anyone blindly following me. I give people the max depth and time and allow them to plan their own dives. Too much liability involved in following blindly. Every diver is responsible for their own plan. This is taught from day one to my students.

I only give people information regarding the site because most haven't been there before. I also give recommended depths for each site depending on the layout. We ask that no one on the recreational boat goes in to deco, pushes the limits of the table or runs out of air. The rest is up to them because they ARE TRAINED DIVERS. I provide a guide service for a new dive site, not a baby sitting service were I need constantly monitor each and every diver for air, depth and time.

After the dive I check everyones computers to make sure that they are diving safetly and if not I have a talk with them about diving on my boat.

Happy diving,
Chris

I always plan my own dives, and if the 'leaders' don't buy into my plan, I surface without them. I [now] use my computer for subsequent planning after the first dive, and I in fact use my computer for planning the first dive as well. However, I do use the computer for adjustments during the dive when the dive doesn't quite follow the plan.

Before everyone freaks over that last statement, let me explain, well, let me explain with todays dive. We _planned_ 100 fsw. One of the other students asked if we were going to plan it, and we started to plan it off the tables. 100 fsw for 20 minutes. I brought over my computer with my computer plan showing 100 fsw and 15 minutes and said I would be using that plan. He agreed to 15 minutes @ 100 fsw.

Now people say plan your dive and dive your plan. Well it goes two way, If you _plan_ for 100 fsw, but you spend most of your time on the deck of a wreck @ 78 fsw, then your not diving your plan! It's that sort of situation where I might extend a little longer based on the info being presented by the dive computer.

Now as far as trusting the divemasters? Well, I am inclined to trust _instructors_ somewhat, but as they judge your skill by seeing you dive, I judge their trustworthyness by seeing them dive and seeing how they interact with the other students. I actually have a tendancy to stick to the back of the pack, with the divemasters, so I can watch everything going on with the class. But that's instructors. Divemasters I don't trust what-so-ever. In fact, on one of my dives today, the instructor was inquring about remaining air during the safety stop, I had 1500 psi remaining in a 3000 psi tank. The divemaster had the same size tank, was about my size, and when he looked down at his guage he looked up in shock and grabbed the instructors alternate...

Before today I hadn't been considering taking rescue diver. But seeing the complete lack of awareness and skill in some of those that have already reached the level of divemaster I'm considering taking that avenue in an attempt to bring up the curve...

Sorry to drift off on a tangent on this one, I have a whole rant coming about my AOW experience, but I'm trying to wait until I get some of the complete discust and anger out of my system before I formulate the post. Likewise I apologize for sounding self-rightous, but after I explain my whole AOW experience, you might see why...

The term divemaster is used loosely.

Here on Cayman we are all called divemasters because that is what our job is. We are all, however, DIVE INSTRUCTORS. You find that to be the case in most popular dive areas.

So that being said, rely on your first statement that you base your trust on a divers ability and not on a diver level.

Back
Top Bottom