wanted: compact analog backup to air-integrated wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krick

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently using an air integrated Oceanic Pro Plus 2 console computer. While I am quite happy with it, I think I'd be happier with an air integrated wireless wrist computer instead, most likely the Oceanic Atom.

However, as I don't totally trust the wireless technology, I'd like to have a backup "analog" pressure/depth/compass unit as well. I'd like this unit to be well made, reliable, intelligently designed, (hopefully) affordable, and most of all, compact.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model that they like or don't like for this purpose and why?

I'm sure there are lots of other divers currently diving the same configuration and I'm hoping to tap the collective knowlege of this group.

Krick,
While I don't dive a hoseless A/I computer, I do use a redundant SPG.
Instead of having a complete backup console system, I dive a Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch which gives me my depth and time. I also have a high pressure "Y" fitting in my left side high pressure port which allows me to attach both the A/I computer and the SPG.

Using a hoseless A/I computer, you could put the sending unit in the right side high pressure port and attach a simple analog SPG to the left H/P port and clip it off at the left side d-ring.

There may be some issues with transmission interference from the transmitter to the computer, but I'm very ignorant in that subject.

There are others here on the board that dive a rig similar to what you describe.

Hopefully they will chime in pretty soon.

the K

I have an air integrated console computer as well and use a Dive-Rite Compact SPG as a backup (might not be what you are looking for as it is only the SPG). Its very compact and I just clip it off to a hip D-Ring so its out of the way unless I need it. I have 2 HP ports on my first stage so no Y-adapters or anything needed. As for the hoseless AI computers, I have heard that they can lose reception occasionally but all you have to do is raise your arm up near the valve/transmitter to get the signal back. I didn't want the hassle so I went with a console version with the hose.

I dive with a Suunto Vytec. No problems whatsoever.
I know that the signal can be scrambled when you're near a working outboard motor (interference). That's minor in my opinion, just turn the computer on when you go diving, not when you're transmuting.

I also have a redundant SPG, and usually a wrist mounted backup computer. I do not have a large console, because that's why I dive with wrist mounted stuff. The SPG is really small, and can be clipped on a D-ring.

It is all a matter of personal preference. And, I am a geek, so...

Melle :14:

krick:
I am currently using an air integrated Oceanic Pro Plus 2 console computer. While I am quite happy with it, I think I'd be happier with an air integrated wireless wrist computer instead, most likely the Oceanic Atom.

However, as I don't totally trust the wireless technology, I'd like to have a backup "analog" pressure/depth/compass unit as well. I'd like this unit to be well made, reliable, intelligently designed, (hopefully) affordable, and most of all, compact.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model that they like or don't like for this purpose and why?

I'm sure there are lots of other divers currently diving the same configuration and I'm hoping to tap the collective knowlege of this group.

I dive with a computer and here is my back-up...very tiny but easy to read Tusa with compass on back, gauges measure under 1.5 inches across. The one on the right is what I used to dive with....HUGE!!!

Joediver sells them on Ebay for $119.00 with full warranty.

000_0375.jpg

000_0374.jpg

krick:

"Wireless" - OK, but "analog" certainly isn't what you mean.

While an SPG is analog and very reliable, it obviously requires a hose. Compasses are usually analog, but I think there are some ones with digital display on the market. As for depth, it's basically just a (low) pressure gauge and may have either analog or digital display. The remaining function, bottom time, is best served by a digital unit, but you might find an all-analog unit on Ebay.

IMHO, the best combo: an SPG and wireless dive computer.

donacheson:
"Wireless" - OK, but "analog" certainly isn't what you mean.

While an SPG is analog and very reliable, it obviously requires a hose. Compasses are usually analog, but I think there are some ones with digital display on the market. As for depth, it's basically just a (low) pressure gauge and may have either analog or digital display. The remaining function, bottom time, is best served by a digital unit, but you might find an all-analog unit on Ebay.

IMHO, the best combo: an SPG and wireless dive computer.

No, "analog" is exactly what I mean. As in non-digital, non-electronic. I don't think I ever said analog didn't require a hose.

I want to have a digital, wireless wrist computer as my primary, and an analog pressure/depth/compass unit as my backup.

The Tusa unit that "sasscuba" posted is exactly what I was looking for. As a bonus, it's actually affordable.
The equivalent analog Triple Console from Dive Rite is $260.

I've also considered using a wrist compass and going with a pressure/depth (no compass) unit.

Krick what you are looking for is the system I use. Oceanic VT pro, wireless A/I, with a small set of analog guages as backup.

Keep in mind, you need a 1st stage reg that has 2 HP ports, one for your analog set, and another for your HP transmitter for the computer.

I would just make sure the analogs are small, like sasscuba's post, since they will be a "secondary" display. Dive Rite makes a good small set, and ther are many others.

While people claim the wireless has link-up problems, I have never had a problem with mine, unless I am using my U/W scooter. When the motor is on, the computer will lose the signal.

Tusa analog is the smallest out now I believe. Look at the penny and judge for yourself, they are small yet easy to read.

I have one similiar to the one that sasscuba, but it's made by Scubamax. It's around the same size and very well made. I got it from DiveSports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom