Suunto watch-computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swedish diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Last week i drowned my watch, so now I'll have to get a new one. Was thinking of one of those fancy suunto (spyder or stinger). Any comments from users are welcomed. And if you find them crappy, don't be afraid to tell me. Is one of them better than the other? Is there any other difference than one support nitrox?

Regards

/Kristian

To read about specs, click Suunto.

The Stinger by far the better of the two.

The Spyder is no longer in production, per Suunto. You may want to take a look at the Mosquito.

I really like everything i've read about the Stinger, except the fact that the batteries MUST be replaced by the factory or an authorized Suunto service agency. There are only 2 that i know of in the USA, California and Ohio. I live in Florida. Also, the batteries only last 6 months to 1 1/2 years, depending on the amount of diving.

So, if you don't mind being without a watch for 2-3 weeks, then the Stinger is a good choice.

the zer

I got a new mosquito since my old watch was eating the cuffs on my dress shirts and I needed a nitrox computer.

I love it.

TwoBit

Is there any possibility that the mosquito is more conservative than a Vyper?

I'm am aware that they both use the RGBM algorythm and have read both their manuals. It is my belief that they are equally conservative, however I have a dive buddy that swears differently. Having never owned one, I'll admit that my knowledge of them is purely through study, not experience.

Is it possible to change the conservatism on the Vyper? If all things are the same the two computers are using the same algorythm and they should show the same deco data.

I didn't say, I do wear mine full time as a watch.

TwoBit

The only Suunto computer that I am aware of that you can change the conservatism is the Vytec. According to the manual (I read it earlier this week) prior to entering the water, you have three settings of conservitency to choose from (0, +, and ++ on the display). And as expected, the more conservative, the shorter the NDL's.

And the reason you can switch it is so you can take the various parameters of the dive and diver into consideration (overweight or stressed diver, ripping current, work dive, high gas consumption, etc).

The mosquito also offers the 'conservatism' adjustments that Mike addressed above. I love mine - not a bad looking watch either. I do plan to pick up a velcro band for mine...

Back
Top Bottom