Console Mount vs Wrist Mount Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhawke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm about to buy a new reg kit and was thinking about also buying a new console as well.

I currently use an all analog console and a wrist mounted computer. I like this combo because I feel like I have a little fault tolerance. If my gauge fails I still have my computer and if my computer fails I still have my gauge.

I have to admit though that I don't like looking in two places all the time (my computer doesn't track air usage). My arm also gets tired at safety stops - while I'm watching the computer do its count down and I'm monitoring my bouancy.

So what are other people's thoughts on wrist vs console mounted computers?

Thanks,
Jason

I ordered a wrist mount last week so I can move my computer from my console. I find ascents a bit tricky when I have my console to check, a BC to vent and often a flag to hold. Especially at safety stops when you're trying to control your buoyancy and keep a close eye on depth. Checking air is much less frequent than checking depth, time, ascent rate, etc.

Of course, to completely eliminate having to look in two places, an air integrated computer is the next step...

FWIW, after tons of research here on SB, I opted for an AI console computer rather than wrist mount. Afterward, I wondered if I'd regret it, but so far I really like it.

Why:

1. I've used a wrist computer before, and sometimes it would turn sideways and I couldn't see it without manually turning it back, meaning both hands were needed.

2. The readout is larger which makes it easier to see, especially in poor light conditions.

3. I liked the idea of a firm attachment to the air supply rather than the radio frequency thing. I read both pros and cons about this on SB, but it just seemed more reliable to me.

4. Price. duh.

I mounted it on a retractible cord, over the right shoulder instead of the left, because I have an AIR-2. Even when I use an octo, I keep the computer on the right because it is really easy to grab with either hand and doesn't interfere with using the inflater hose. I always know exactly where it is, but when I don't need it, it is out of the way and not dangling.

Well, do you want the readout on your wrist where you can see it at a glance or do you want it on your console where you need to pull it up and look at it?

It's really up to you.

Also, console's are cheaper if you want to go air intergrated.

Best thing I ever did was loose the brick.

I like the computer on my wrist because it's easy to see it with just a glance when I'm holding my light in front of me. I can keep an eye on it while I'm using my BC in/deflater or rear pull dump. It's more streamline than a big council. During the safety stop, my arm doesn't get tired, because it weighs zero underwater, but holding a big council is more difficult because it has both weight and drag. Without a big council, my SPG is clipped tight against me, reducing drag. I don't find the need to watch both my SPG and my computer at the same time, but it's easily doable.

For ME, I like the wrist mount because it makes my diving easier, and I can focus more on the stuff in the water, and less on the stuff on me.

I've tried both, and really don't like the brick feeling. Felt like I was wearing more lead! Dove a Cochran AI on the wrist, and though I'll pass on the AI, I was sold on having the info on my wrists.

I really feel bad for the poor ocean divers who have to hold up those consoles for long compass swims, then flip it over to see their bottom time and pressure, then flip it back for their heading.

Putting them on your wrists, basically on so that they rest against the forearms, let you dive in a pretty natural position, relax the shoulders, and still see everything. A quick glance back at the clipped SPG gives you the final piece of the puzzle.

Just my preference, but I see few technical or overhead divers with consoles.

I like wrist mount since I dont have to keep reaching my gages because I monitor time depth constatntly I also like refering to the computer during ascent for ascent speed and find it easier.

OK, to add a bit of balance here, I use a console. I've bravely admitted it before.

I can see the good points of a wrist-mount computer and compass, and I've tried them... just can't stand the feeling of clunky instrument boots on my wrists. (You know, I like to be streamlined. :wink: <-- Smiley!! Note the smiley!)

I have an Aeris console where the computer and SPG are on the same side. I do have to flip the console over to use the compass, but I find that very do-able for the type of navigation I do.

Redundancy? Yeah... I'm getting more and more convinced that depth-gauge redundancy is particularly important. I've got a cheap Timex Helix DM watch for $40, that has a depth gauge. Nice because I don't have to remember to set it when descending. It's ugly as hell, and some folks have reported flooding or other malfunctions. But I haven't had any problems, and it always shows within a foot or so of my computer's depth.

--Marek

I use a Suunto Vytec wireless AI & love it. Everything is all on my wrist, & as I use an Air Source I only have 2- Hoses. One for my Reg, & One for my Inflater/Air Source. Very uncluttered, & as I accend I have one arm above my head, & the other on my Computer.

Wrist.

If you MUST get a brick. Please PLEASE get a very good retractor that will not let the damn thing drag all over the reefs. I just got back from Hawaii and two of the dive masters were brick draggers I couldn't believe it. I saw the brick hit the reef several times. Not cool.

Best bet:
A wrist computer and an SPG.

Back
Top Bottom