Opinions on Aeris AI dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My LDS is pushing this computer pretty hard along with everything else LOL!!
Anyone know much about it? Thanks in advance

I have one and love it. It gives you all the info you need. It is a little less conservative than a Suunto computer, but you can make it as conservative as you want based on how you respond to the information it gives you. I like the small size, but now kindof wish I had a wrist computer that is air integrated.

I think one bad thing about the aeris computer is the clear plastic cover. When it gets scratched up (they eventually do) you can't read the display unless the computer is IN THE WATER... It makes it difficult to read the logged information when you're not diving.

Otherwise, they are good computers...

I bought one this summer and like it quite well. Easy to read and very compact.

Only thing that I've found that I wish was different was the temperature reading which Aeris has told me is a running average. I found that in the NE my bottom temp is never recorded due to this averaging.

And for the plastic cover getting scratched they are easily replaced.

Below the water I really like mine a lot. Just a well thought out AI computer in my opinion. Compact and angled nicely to read. I like the layout of the Aeris computers over all the others I have looked at including Oceanic, Suunto, Uwatec, Tusa and Mares. Just really intuitive and that's important to me underwater. I do like the Sherwood Wisdom layout as well, but I don't know much about that company. I scratched my cover as well and easily got a replacement from my LDS (ScubaToys)

Above the water though, I've had a couple of issues with it when interfacing with my PC. Nothing major, just minor pains. Mine is back at Aeris right now getting looked at for those computer issues. Had I not had a backup Aeris computer or my daughter's Atmos AI, I would have never sent it off for something as minor as download glitches.

I also love mine and haven't had any problems with it. Actually, I take that back - the download software is terrible and I've been unable to retrieve maybe 1 out of every 20 dives or so, but it's a minor inconvenience. The computer itself is great. Oh, and if you keep the little plastic protective plate on it, it will keep the actual screen from getting scratched and can be easily replaced. Mine still looks fine after 1 year and about 80 dives, though, and I'm not super careful with it.

D_O_H:
I also love mine and haven't had any problems with it. Actually, I take that back - the download software is terrible and I've been unable to retrieve maybe 1 out of every 20 dives or so, but it's a minor inconvenience. The computer itself is great. Oh, and if you keep the little plastic protective plate on it, it will keep the actual screen from getting scratched and can be easily replaced. Mine still looks fine after 1 year and about 80 dives, though, and I'm not super careful with it.

I'll agree with that statement. The software is terrible... Aeris should be ashamed of it. It's the only issue I have with them. I love the AI underwater, heck even above water. The issues come when I sit down at my PC. What irks me more is they, as far as I know, aren't doing anything to correct the software issues... like writing a new program.

And the plastic covers are easily replaced, I would imagine all computers plastic covers can get scratched to the degree where you can't read it.

I've had the Aeris AI elite for over a year and think it is a fantastic computer that does everything that I need on the recreational side of diving. It is such a great computer that I bought my wife one also.
Customer support from Aeris is top notch also.
Yes, the software may not be the best out there, but hey, it does what I need it to do.

I'm very familiar with it. But asking someone about a dive
computer is like asking somone about car. Everyone has
different preferences and personal tastes. Alot depends
on what you like, what is important to you, and how
you plan to use it.

My wife and I are newbie divers and we both have one.
We love the AI. (Well at least the computer, the s/w is another story)
My wife originally had a Versa Pro and swapped it out
(along with additional cash) for the Aeris AI.
The AI has much darker and thicker digits which
makes it much easier to read the numbers.
Also, since it has everything on the display and the way the
compass mounts, there is no need to have to rotate it like you
have to with many consoles. This means that during navigation,
you have everything you need right there visible at all times:
air, depth, times, compass, etc...
She liked its very compact size and it didn't weight her down
like the Versa Pro console did.
I really like the angled display because I keep it tethered
and can simply tip it up to view all the information I need
without having to rotate it or spin it around to line it up.

Dive time remaining feature is nice. Some love it, some hate it.
It shows your bottom remaining time based on the most
limiting factor, which could be air, nitrogen, or oxygen.

It does have a violation mode that knocks it into a gauge mode
for 24 hours if you do something stupid - violate/ignore a deco
stop. Just don't do that....

The battery is changeable by the user and doesn't require
any special tools.

As others have said the Aeris s/w sucks! Actually, you can get
it to work if do a few things in a certain order and avoid doing
a few other things. And when it does work, it is pretty cool.

If you are planning on doing PC downloads, I'd spring for
the quick disconnect.

There are tons of cabilities in this just like all the computers so
here is a link to the manual so you can read the features
for youself and decide if you like it: Aeris AI Manual

--- Bill

To be honest $630 is a pretty high price tag for a computer IMO. Especiallly, to have software issues. I am also looking at the Oceanic Versa Pro with pressure guage. It costs like $324 on Leisure Pro that's half the price plus it comes with a guage. Any one have know anything about that computer?

Would any of you guys recommend a watch computer? I've heard a few mixed reviews. Thanks for taking the time to help me!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom