Oceanic Atom 1.0 Scuba Dive Computer w/ Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrddin

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on this wrist computer? Also anyone have a used one for sell? Also looking for a mk25/s600 as well.

:)
thnaks
I have read a few reviews on this board but would just like an updated one. i saw where a lot of people were claming the atom was full of defects and had to return it over and over... Is this still ths case?

I have an ATOM but ain't using the transmitter. Never fail on me as yet. Enjoyed it alot.

But I am aware of the reviews you read on defects. One of the fellow diver I lead on a dive trip has his ATOM reset automatically after a few hours................

Do you feel it’s big enough to read? Also do you use it like a watch for every day or strictly a dive computer? Why don’t you use the transmitter?

I have an Atom....with 2 transmitters. Works great and has never lost the link yet. I had it originally replaced since it had the 'flaky' firmware, but the new one is going strong.

Do not use it as a watch, just as a computer......and it does that well with infinitely adjustable conservatism and good features. The numbers could be a bit bigger but that would not stop from buying another.

Numbers are kind of small in dark deep water... (ok, I'm just over 40 and have that little problem too)... liked the Versa Pro numeral size better!

myrddin:
Do you feel it’s big enough to read? Also do you use it like a watch for every day or strictly a dive computer? Why don’t you use the transmitter?

Didn't have problem reading it. Though I have to admit the large displays on my UWATEC Aladin Pro is easier when it comes to reading.

Nope, I do not wear it as an everyday watch. When not diving, it is stored in a pouch.

Not using the transmitter coz I would have go down with a backup SPG and I would certainly rely more on the analog SPG. Why???? Such technology can fail any time.................just a personal belief. For this reason, didn't think that the extra USD250 for the transmitter (that's the price in my market) is necessary since I am using dive computer as backup to my dive plans.

Well, some might ask why get an ATOM and not use transmitter(s) when there are others out there. Simply coz I got some interest deal and I want the fact that it allows me to switch gases when I eventually go tech...................if I would actually go tech.

I am having a hard time with this... This will be my first dive computer, and I thought while I'm at it I'll make it so I only end up with the one hose running off the first stage and rely on the "ATOM" (or whichever one I choose) to do all the work for me. Now after seeing so many people talk about failure and such I am not sure what to do. Should I just go with an air integrated computer (with hose) and compass like usual or what? I have saved up for a while to get a new rig and I don’t want to make a mistake.

What do you guys think?
I guess I could get the atom for a dive computer and then a mini console that has compass and spg?

Thanks

myrddin:
I am having a hard time with this... This will be my first dive computer, and I thought while I'm at it I'll make it so I only end up with the one hose running off the first stage and rely on the "ATOM" (or whichever one I choose) to do all the work for me. Now after seeing so many people talk about failure and such I am not sure what to do. Should I just go with an air integrated computer (with hose) and compass like usual or what? I have saved up for a while to get a new rig and I don’t want to make a mistake.

What do you guys think?
I guess I could get the atom for a dive computer and then a mini console that has compass and spg?

Thanks

I do NOT dive with a hoseless computer largely due to the cost. I do plan to do so in the future.

IMO don't hesitate to use the wireless technology. It's good, and will likely become the standard in the future. Most instructors I know use AI computers, and many hoseless. However EVERY one of them carries an SPG in their bag, and a backup computer.

If these things go south, you can either quit diving, or switch to a backup unit. IMO spend the $75 on a mini SPG, and keep it in the bag along with the tools needed to swap out the transmitter for the SPG.

Back
Top Bottom