What pressure gauge is the one to have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like brass spg's with 100 pound increments!! I currently use a Diverite brass spg as my primary and am very happy with it. I use the small brass scubapro spg's on my stage bottles because I like the size and they are also 100 pound increments!:)

Good Luck!

Len

I bought a Scubapro brass SPG about six months ago. It is built like a tank. I use it by itself (without a console and clipped off on my right side) and never worry about damage. Here is the link to Scubapro's brass SPG page if you want to take a look.

I think it was the Aqualung electronic gauge. It works great I have not had any problems with it and the battery you can change yourself.

Rich :mean:

Personally, I would not rely on an electric one. As neat as they are, I like the simplicity of a regular ole' brass SPG. Others have mentioned DiveRite (which I use), and ScubaPro (which is very nice too). However, another one that I like is the OMS. I have used them before, and they are nice and small, and easy to read.

I got the Scubapro mini pressure gauge and love it. It takes the console down to near nothing. I get comments about it all the time on dive boats as people wonder if I can read it. Remember, everything is much larger under water and it fits in the palm of your hand. I believe the only place I have seen these is for sale online is SimplyScuba, but they are likely metric only. I picked mine up on GC.

As for the electronic pressure gauge, I would be wary as I have had a computer go out on me during a dive (it wasn't the battery) when I was carrying only the pressure gauge. I have since got a loose depth gauge which I keep in my pocket. Electronic gauges and computers are great, but they are subject to failure much more than standard instruments.

The SPG has been metioned on several occasions as the most likely bit of kit to fail. Its on of the reasons the DIR guys only use one guage when diving doubles.

I'm not sure what evidence there is either way for whether a mechanical guage will fail more or less often than an electronic one.

Most mechanical guages have a bent piece of tube then straightens out a bit when under pressure. The end of this tube then drives a tiny plastic gear driving a needle on a small shaft. I'll stick to my digital guage with no moving parts.

Its not a perfect solution. It doesn't react quickly enough for checking whether your air is turned on when you check your 2nd stage ie. no needle flutter. It does record pressure in and pressure out and you can set an alarm at a desired pressure.

Another vote for the Dive-Rite SPG with 100 psi increments. The only drawbacks are the redzone from 0 to 750 psi can be difficult to read precisely at times, and from 0 to 500 psi is in 125 psi increments. I don't consider these to be anything more than minor, however.

Back
Top Bottom