SUUNTO SK-7 Retractable or wrist mount??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrddin

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to start a thread like this because I know its whatever I like, but I need to know if one is better or more preferred than the other. I can see the retractable one breaking after a while with a rusty cable I guess, but any how can you guys help me out?

Retractable or wrist?

if it helps I have a Atom so only one hose all air integrated with back up air on my inflator, I also don't know for sure if I would need to have the compass on every time I dive, or I wouldn't think that I would need it every time??? Don't know this will be my first one.

Or would it be better to save my money and get a slate with a compass attached?

I look forward to your replies.

most techie types will probably say wrist. I like the retractable Suunto compass because my Suunto computer is on my wrist. Its too hard to slide my wetsuit over too much stuff. My compass clips on the D-ring of my eclipse which is probably DIW. I know you should always have one with you but on wrecks straight down, I leave it off. Sometimes I clip to BF and make him navigate when its a more confusing site and I have the big camera. So...I would say, think about "how you dive". If I am with a buddy that navigates better, I delegate!

since men never ask for directions, I think they have evolved into better navigators.

i like wrist b/c it's so easy to "aim"

point your opposite arm straight ahead, grasp your elbow with the compass hand,
and voila!

your compass is right in front of your eyes, pointing ahead

(your arms should look like a "chair")

well I know I want to be as streamlined as I can be, other than that I haven't had the chance to use one much so I don't know what would be comfortable. I figure I would have it in my BC or in my gear bag for the most of the time until i needed it for a dive. However if I should dive with it every time then I am just not sure of the pros and cons I guess. Thank you for the response Catherine, I do like the retractable one a lot and I have the wrist mount now however it has a broken bezel so I have to send it back.... thats why I am second guessing my first decidion....

wrist or retractable??
:(

I've got mine in the DSS wrist mount. I had a console mount before and found it difficult to always have to reach for while carrying a flag and aiming a light and things like that. When vis is limited I like to be able to glance at the compass often, which is a lot easier with it mounted on my wrist.

wouldnt it be about the same H2Andy? I mean the compass would still be in your hand .

jhonnyseko, thats a really good point.... I can see how it could be a pain when your hands are full. This is one verry good point for the wris mount.

Thanks

myrddin:
wouldnt it be about the same H2Andy? I mean the compass would still be in your hand .

it's a lot easier when the compass is mounted on your wrist as opposed
as being held on your hand. the wrist offers a much more steady platform,
and since you are holding your other arm, you increase the stability

I have mine on a retractor and I am very happy with the set up. A quick grab and it is in perfect position. I dive dry most of the time so it is easier to not have extra staps over the laminate.

myrddin:
well I know I want to be as streamlined as I can be, other than that I haven't had the chance to use one much so I don't know what would be comfortable. I figure I would have it in my BC or in my gear bag for the most of the time until i needed it for a dive. However if I should dive with it every time then I am just not sure of the pros and cons I guess. Thank you for the response Catherine, I do like the retractable one a lot and I have the wrist mount now however it has a broken bezel so I have to send it back.... thats why I am second guessing my first decision....

wrist or retractable??
:(
A great deal of it depends on what you're doing...

Your profile is pretty ambiguous...its tough to tell where you live or what sort of conditions you may be diving in.

But if you're trying to catch lobsters you're going to be snatching at them at the mouths of holes, from under bits of wrecks, deck plates, etc. You may not want a lot of crap around your wrists to catch on stuff while you're pulling on a lobster.

Likewise if you're spearfishing. Back in the day when I used to spearfish, I used an SPG with a compass on the reverse side. Nothing on my wrists (to snag) while I was working with the gun and the line, etc.

If you're doing macro photography, you may not cover enough ground to truly need a whole lot of navigation. Having a compass on a retractor may work well for a photographer who may spend an entire dive within 40' of where they began.

Some divers collect shells. Same deal.

OTOH, if you're doing something that requires navigation, having the compass on your wrists is useful. You'll be referencing it fairly frequently.

So where you wear your compass (and other equipment selections) depends on what you're doing. Your gear is rather like tools in a toolbox. You select what you need based on what you're trying to do.

It's not absolute either way.

Best,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom