What's with the recall of VYTEC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlitt

Registered
Reaction score
There's no recall announcement at Suunto's website. How credible was the info?

NEWS

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE REGARDING SUUNTO VYTEC DIVE COMPUTERS

Despite an extensive pretesting program by Suunto and by independent divers all over the world, Suunto test program has found a software bug in the first series of Suunto Vytecs (products with serial numbers 205000-223700). It has been discovered that using Vytec´s SIMPLAN function may cause problems.

Although diving without using the SIMPLAN function does not cause problems and all features of the instrument work then normally, Suunto wishes that all users contact their local dealer, which contact information you can find here at www.suunto.com or Suunto HQ tel. +358-9-875870 to have their unit replaced with a new unit. Please note that the transmitter unit has no problems and is not to be replaced.

Go to www.suunto.com, go to the Diving section, and then click on "News" - it's the item dated "12.07." (which is July 12, not December 7)

I ordered one about four weeks ago. It was finally shipped yesterday.

You have to be in Nitrox mode, then in simulation mode, then you have to hit the mode button for at least two seconds, and the glitch happens......no reason to be doing all of that, so no real problem. I did not send mine back in for the software change because I am aware of what not to do, and I heard from Suunto that no other modifications are taking place with the software.
Ranz

So it's not a rumor after all. Do I send it back to Suunto or Seaquest for the software update?

Just contact the dealer where you purchased a Vytec. They should have information on replacing your computer if yours falls within the specified serial number range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom