I just bought an Oceanic Vt Pro. To download or not to download?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V:
Does anyone download their dives? Is it worth the extra money?
Thanks!!!
Billy

That depends....On the model you bought, you can access all the same information (dive time, max depth, temp, O2 %, max PPO2) by clicking through the buttons. Download the dive though will give you each data point during the dive...it can be neat to see at 10 feet, its THIS temperature, the thermocline really starts at XX feet.

You'll also get a cool graph that shows your exact dive profile.
I study mine closely...it lets me see how much those Flonase hits help me get down
(ie, without flonase, it took 10 min to get down, now it takes 3)
It will also highlight any "fast ascents" so you can watch that too.

In my opinion, its worth every penny to get the download cable, but then....I am a total logging geek. YMMV

I have the oceanic versa pro and really like the download function. i'm still fairly new to diving, so i like to download all the dives, look at the graph for them, compute my average depth, sac rate, look at my ascent and so forth. the sac rate is important for me because i'm working on bringing it down and also want to get into tech diving so i need to know what it is under different conditions to plan and manage my gas requirements.

the oceanic software used to be crap (i exported the data onto excel in the past to compute some things), but recently it has been updated. there were also some complaints about the update, but the patch for the new version shuold be coming very soon if it's not out already. i haven't tried it yet though.

I have the VT Pro and download all of my dives. It's a very nice computer!

We sell the cable for just 50 bucks with the computer - so for that - I'd say it's kinda neat looking at. Now me, I don't download anymore... heck, I can't remember the last time I logged a dive... but with 5K dives behind me... It doesn't much matter to me anymore. But when I was still wet behind the ears (sorry) I loved that stuff.

Like Larry, I haven't bothered to log a dive in ten years. Five of those years was working in Cayman. I actually did regret that a few months gao when I did some NAUI Tech Instructor courses and had to write a "dive resume" and got to see a notary....

However if you are asking if you should it seems that you are already interested, so yes you should.

Full Retail is $99 on the cable so not too, too expensive. From his comment above Larry obviously gives them away almost when you buy the computer with the cable.

Make sure you download the latest software from our web site ( www.oceanicworldwide.com )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom