Cochran Computers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys and gals had any experience with Cochran dive computers and what you thought about them? I saw a guy wearing one yesterday at the lake(solo diver), but when I approached him to inquire about his computer I learned that he was deaf, so I exchanged the "hello" and "good day" signs which are about the only two I know and we both went on our way. This was the first Cochran that I have seen and it looked like a nice set up.

I have two Cochran computers, a Gemini hoseless I've had for two years and a Commander I've had for one year. Both have worked flawlessly. They provide all the information that I want in an easy to read format. They are programmed via metal contacts on their exterior. This takes a little getting used to. If you get the Cochran software to go with them there are many parameters that you can adjust and you can get more information than you would probably want about your dives.

Check the Cochran web site via the search term "Cochran Undersea". Most people on "the board" hate Cochran computers because early generations had an unacceptable failure rate. The newest generations are recieving good reviews. Check out gear reviews by "Cyber Diver". If they perform as advertised, they are without peer.

The Commander Nitrox I use as part of my normal configuration turns into a pumpkin on any 2nd deep dive. First time it happened was on the Coimbra a few years back. Checking your computer shortly after hitting the wreck and seeing you have 8 hours and 20 minutes of deco already is a bit of a shock. I normally dive 2 computers, a bottom timer and carry tables.

I have 9 computers. Two of which are Cochrans. One Commander nitrox, one Nemesis IIa. Of all my computers I love the commander the best. So does my better half.

Large display, easy to locate info, gas switching if I want it (I prefer tables, but its cool when the tables and the computer match up). I have almost 800 dives on it, max depth 262 ft., and have never had a problem cept for the occasionaly low batt warning. They are easy to change batteries out. No floods, no erroneous deco times. By the way, the back lighting eats batteries. Speaking of which, the red back light sure is easy to read at night.

The Nemesis gives you TONS of information. Being an gas integrated model it tells you air consumption and how long your tanks will last if you are honking on them. The tap it till it comes on feature is a little tricky to get used to at first. After you master that it is easy to fire it up. The hand held programmer is nice as well. What I don't like is the fact that you have to have your arm relatively close to the sending unit, or it will flash. Most annoying. Even though this computer uses 3 gas mixes, I've never actually used it. Again, I prefer using tables. Of all the computers I have, this one probably gives out the most information regarding a dive. Again I've never had problems with it.

Come to think of it, of all the "horror stories" I hear about Cochrans, I have never seen one actually crap out on anyone.

In spite of all wonderful features a Cochran computer might have and how well designed it might be, I would not want my computer to be build ant supported by a company that can not build and run a decent web site. I believe, these days web site is an important part of the company's face, and a fair indicator how the company does.

All the Cochran craftsmanship horror stories, quality of their website and b****ing about Suunto and other brands ("Suunto Says") posted there, all fit each other perfectly, and took Cochran off my list of computers to consider right away.

Hey, how do you like McDonald's restaurant's web site? HAHA

I don't eat at MickyD, and have never been to the web site, but you got me curious. Let's see...:wink:

Well. Just checked it out. Couldn't find anything peculiar... Normal, informative site...

:yea:
Now it actually makes some sense. :)

Geez some people are easily swayed by online

first of cochran is run by a gentlemen that all of us who own a calculator owe a great deal of gratitude because mike cochran devolped the microchip and the calculator, and own thes the patent on both. plus what brand of diving computer does the us navy's seals and experimental diving unit use? its not suunto its cochran so that says something about there products.

I own a cochran gemini + and cant say enough about it because it gives me so much data, even down to how much psi i use per breath. and if i want i can have it store up to a 1000 hours of data and up to three gas mixes, now thats a good thing.

JT2 im in the N TX area i live in plano so if you are at Clear springs some time look for a dark green camery and you should see around

did i miss anything or anybody have any other questions?

Lemonade once bubbled...
In spite of all wonderful features a Cochran computer might have and how well designed it might be, I would not want my computer to be build ant supported by a company that can not build and run a decent web site. I believe, these days web site is an important part of the company's face, and a fair indicator how the company does.

All the Cochran craftsmanship horror stories, quality of their website and b****ing about Suunto and other brands ("Suunto Says") posted there, all fit each other perfectly, and took Cochran off my list of computers to consider right away.

Back
Top Bottom