Doubt on wrist computers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strahd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

As a new diver I'm involved in buying the whole set, once purchased fins, mask, snorkel and suit, is time for the serious gear, and being a computer engineer and total tecnology freak I feel I need a computer, I require it to be also a day to day wrist watch, mi budget is on the 400€ (+-500$) range and after gathering some information I reduced it to three candidates, all seem to have same features:

1. Mares Nemo (359€-458$) On a LDS.
Pros: Coolest looking! , purchased locally, users seem to be satisfied with it...
Cons: IRIS interface wich is expensive and problematic (who the hell builds a serial port based device on '06)

2. Cressi Edy (310€-395$) On dive center I obtained my OW at.
Pros: Also a cool one, I obtain a really good price from my dive center, I'm pretty confident with the guys/gals there also.
Cons: Not a single review found on SB or even on the Internet! (but seems a reduced version of the Archimede with some added features).

3. Suunto Mosquito (359€-458$) On ScubaStore.com
Pros: By far the most tested and reviewed(on SB or the internet) with lots of satisfied customers.
Cons: Seems to me the ugliest of the pack.

As you noticed, I don't have the experience to evaluate aspects such as reliability, interface, etc... so wich one would yo choose? I also accept suggestions for any other computer/watch I should consider, have in mind I live in Spain and we have more availability for European brands...

Thanks in advance!!

I'll put in a vote for the Mosquito, never a problem with mine (other than one being stolen... grrr!) and at least a half dozen friends also having no problems with theirs.

On a side note, I think the yellow mosquito looks much nicer than the all-black version.

why would you want your computer to be a day to day wrist watch?

IMO I would make sure you know tables inside and out then get a computer.

I use the Stinger which is a more robust version of the Mosquito - pretty much same capabilities. Mosquito has the advantage of user replacable batteries. Some people find this a very important factor and may be worth considering. I don't see a problem sending my Stringer off for a week to get a new battery and a pressure check (it's only every 500 dives or so anyway) I've been pissed off from time to time by Nemos beeping all the time underwater - even from someone lifting their arm 'too quickly' to deflate etc. They are nice looking though and you may be able to turn the alarms off.
I'd go Mosquito though. Have you checked the new D6 too ? Not sure what the price is.

why would you want your computer to be a day to day wrist watch?

At this momment I don't have a wristwatch so, considering I must buy one (for day to day and for dive times) and also need to buy a depth gauge... why not buying all things in an integrated device?

IMO I would make sure you know tables inside and out then get a computer.

Of course I'm not forgetting about the importance of tables, but having a sciences profile made me understand them pretty fast (I have calculated depth times for all my dives until now, including the OW course ones :wink: )

Have you checked the new D6 too ?

Sure I did! but unfortunately it goes over my budget.

I put a vote in for the mosquito... If you are ok with the computer being used, you could find a Stinger within your budget. I understand the D6 replaced the Stinger so you could find a used Stinger within your budget.

Wys.

The stinger seems a really good option but second hand market here in spain is quite limited...

Has anyone seen a Cressi Edy underwater? Only one I've ever seen was on my OW instructor wrist and he seemed very happy with it...

Of those I'd go a Mosquito - you could probably also get an Oceanic atom for that price - with a transmitter for not much more (the 1.0 version is being run out, so it's quite cheap right now)

I just replaced my mosquito with one, and am very happy with it.

Having said that, the Mosquito was quite good for me.
Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom