3 Year Old Cobra from Leisure pro Died, what are my options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lnjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had LDS send in unit and Aqualung won't fix without receipt. Leisure pro says no more warranty find someone else to send in unit. It appears that the sensor went bad, while diving in Fiji depth at surface was reading 14 feet below, I stopped using computer took out battery and used backup computer. This is the 2nd Suunto that has taken a dump on me, first one was replaced under warranty. Is there any way around dealing with the local LDS? Can I send unit overseas to be replaced or repaired etc? Any help is appreciated. I am diving a Uwatec Aladin prime tec that I won at raffle, but like the air integration of the cobra better.
thanks
John:confused:

Who saves 2 year old receipts? I would question their request with that question. Is there anything in their manual that says you much save the receipt? If not, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I imagine that if you sent it to Aqualung that they would fix it, for a price. It certainly wouldn't be under warranty, particularly since you got it from LP, but if you're willing to pay, Aqualung should be happy to take your money.

BTW, I save receipts for all of my dive gear.

lnjohn:
I had LDS send in unit and Aqualung won't fix without receipt. Leisure pro says no more warranty find someone else to send in unit. It appears that the sensor went bad, while diving in Fiji depth at surface was reading 14 feet below, I stopped using computer took out battery and used backup computer. This is the 2nd Suunto that has taken a dump on me, first one was replaced under warranty. Is there any way around dealing with the local LDS? Can I send unit overseas to be replaced or repaired etc? Any help is appreciated. I am diving a Uwatec Aladin prime tec that I won at raffle, but like the air integration of the cobra better.
thanks
John:confused:

Surprised LDS didn't send you packing w/ something you bought at Leisure Pro. I'll bet if you had bought it at that LDS they would have taken care of you.

Btw: if the sensor is bad, nothing can be done with it except replace it.

But this time go local.

Just a question for my information...

Does a Cobra bought at a "legit" LDS get a warranty of more than 3 years?

I doubt it but - If so, then this may be an example where LP does not match manufacturers warranties.
If Cobras are warrantied for that long, it just may be my next 'puter!

d@n:
Does a Cobra bought at a "legit" LDS get a warranty of more than 3 years?
Depends on the company and the circumstances. When the Lovely Young Kat's Oceanic flooded after five years and I sent it in for repair or replacement, expecting to pay a hefty bill, they sent me a new computer, without a bill! When my Cobra crapped out (bad depth sensor - this seems to be the primary failure mode on these computers) after three or four years and I sent it in, Suunto initially said "sorry, out of warranty, beyond economical repair." My shop owner told the regional rep "Ok... suit yourself... last year I sold oh, probably 20 - 25 Suuntos because that's what he uses. I know he's been itching to replace it with a Nitek, so I'll let him know your decision." They changed their mind and replaced the Cobra free of charge...
But I doubt Liesure Pro will go to bat for you with the regional rep. :)
-- oh, I didn't have any receipts in either case - but of course the LDS had records...
Rick

If you bought from a authorized LDS then you would have gotten a "5 year (pro-rated)" limited warranty. Basically what that means is if you would have to pay 50% of the cost for fixing/replacing the unit (most likely replacing). Some things are worth getting a warranty for especially when they cost $$$.

Have you contacted LP? They state that thier own warranty offers "equal or better protection." I would contact them and let them politely know that Aqualung offers a 5 year warranty. I would kindly hold them to it. Just be sure to understand what Aqualung states they will do and don't expect LP to do what others say Aqualung might do. Likewise, we can't blame LP for not doing what hasn't yet been asked of them. Good luck and keep in touch...http://www.leisurepro.com/Content/Policies.html#WarrantyPolicy and you may also need this but the LP warranty does state that the original receipt is rquired so you may be out of luck anyway...http://www.leisurepro.com/Content/Policies.html#WarrantyPolicy

Edit: That 2nd link is for the warranty card but it won't let me link to the file.

Edit again: Also, that Aqualung warranty may have changed recently and they could be matching an older warranty from three years ago. Just a thougt out loud...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom