VTpro or VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meesier42

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been thinking about getting a computer for a while now, and I really like the Oceanics, even though they don't have an electroic compass yet.

But I have a question for people that already own one or both of these. I have found a VTpro pretty cheap and think that it maybe the time to buy before they are sold out, but the VT3 has some pretty impressive upgrades that I may want later on.

Any expirience with things the VTpro is lacking that you have found to be important or wanting would be great in helping me to decide if I want to save a couple months longer for the VT3 or if I should just go with the VTpro.

Having owned both units I can tell you that both will suit you just fine. The VT3 is basically a newer version of the VT Pro, with the added benefit of multiple gasses and multiple transmitters. Those can come into effect if you start diving with multiple gasses or want to check buddies pressure, but other than that the VT Pro is just as good as the VT3 (few small subtle differences in terms of functions and features but pretty much both very similar)

I agree that the VT3 has some nice new features, but I sure do find my VT Pro easier to read, at least with my aging eyes. Either are good units. Do make sure that you get it from an authorized dealer, and send in the warranty card.

I personally don't think the VT3 is wort the extra cost for 99.9% of rec. divers. As Tamas said, they are almost the same other than those few and not usually needed extras. Both great though. Enjoy!

The VT Pro must be last year's model... I guess. Because I got a really good deal on one @ my LDS. I think I paid $649 for the puter+transmiter, the only thing lacking was the download cable for ~$75.

The VT PRo will do multiple gasses, eg..Nitrox or Air, but as they said it won't do multiple transmitters.

So far I'm happy with mine. Its relatively easy to use and I love it.

Good luck buying.

scubadobadoo:
I personally don't think the VT3 is wort the extra cost for 99.9% of rec. divers. As Tamas said, they are almost the same other than those few and not usually needed extras. Both great though. Enjoy!

Well it all depends if they are needed or not. The VT3 has a newer/smarter chip and logging, more onboard memory, can do up to 3 gases and 3 transmitters, allows for more adjustments for safety stops, more settings for conservatism, looks damn sexy, incorporates the pcdownload software and cable....just to name a few.

So it really all depends what you are looking for in a PDC, a very robust computer that has potential at a nice price or a PDC that is a heck of a lot cheaper with almost (but not all) the same features.

Also remember, the VT Pro is being discontinued and replaced by the VT3, that is why the prices are so lucrative.

well, as you guys have recommended I went with the VT pro, hopefully will be diving it this weekend. I don't really care too much about the 3 gases or buddy check, since I don't do tech diving and the only other bottle I'll carry is a pony, and I'm not worried about watching pressure of a pony bottle.
So does the new Oceanlog software work with this PDC??

Good for you. Yes the VT Pro will work with the software but you will have to purchase the download cable individually (it's bundled with the VT3)

I agree that the VT Pro is a good computer, but with the price of the cable the computer isn't night and day cheaper. Just wanted to point that fact out for others that might be considering the same deals.

I think you'll be very pleased with it, mighty fine computer.

I don't dive either, but I would recommend having a fresh battery kit for your VTPro before you get to the dive site. Your 'puter may have been in storage for a while, turned on....thus, killing your battery time. This happened to me with an Aeris wrist computer on my first dive with it. Luckily I had the battery kit with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom