Oceanic Datamaster Sport battery replacement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have recently acquired an Oceanic Datamaster Sport integrated computer from a friend of mine. The battery is dead. It's the kind that you're supposed to send back to Oceanic and let them change it out. Oceanic does not replace the batteries for this model any more.

Rather than buy a new computer, is there a way for me to replace the battery myself and seal the unit back up? Has anyone ever done this, or anything like this? If so, what advice do you have?

Thanks!

Matt

I was wondering if you ever replaced these batteries? I have the exact same computer that I inherited a while ago, but it did not have any batteries when I recieved it. I would appreciate any help someone could offer

My wife and I both dive with Oceanic DataMax Sport dive computers. At the time we purchased these we had to send them back for battery replacment. Within a year of so of purchase (early '90s) Oceanic came out with an upgrade to these that allowed "user replacement" of the batteries. I believe it cost something on the order of $20 plus S & H at that time to have our computers upgraded.

Hope this helps.

Rickg

Unfortunatly, I already contacted Oceanic, and they say that since this is an older computer, they will not service it.

tmproff,

What type of mount do you have? Ours are wrist mount computers. If yours is also you may want to check and see if yours is the type that will allow you to change the batteries yourself. Pry (carefully) the computer out of its mount and look at the back. If it has an access disk with a coin slot in it you should be able to change the batteries yourself. You can find the batteries just about anywhere. I usually get mine at Radio Shack. Don't forget to use a small amount of silicon grease on the O-ring before you re-install the access disk.

Rickg

I have successfully changed the batteries on my Datamaster Sports/S a couple of times. This model is the one that you are supposed to return to the factory or Authorised dealer to change the battery. You need to do it pretty quickly and do one battery at a time as the computer can lose its memory if there are no batteries in it for sometime. I am in the process of doing it at the moment but the problem is getting the exact battery which will fit the battery compartments. There are 2 batteries required for this model which are 1/2AA size 3.6 Volt Lithium. The camera battery equivalent of this will not fit as the length is slightly longer by about 2mm. Will post again as soon as I have sorted out the battery part number.

Cheers Tim

timterry:
I have successfully changed the batteries on my Datamaster Sports/S a couple of times. This model is the one that you are supposed to return to the factory or Authorised dealer to change the battery.

How do you go about removing the battery cover? My Datamax Sport has what looks like a battery cover with 3 holes in it. The battery isn't dead yet so I haven't tried messing with that to see if it actually is threaded or not. I was wondering if a battery cover came off or if you had to dissassemble the entire computer.

Any info or especially pictures of how to do it would be VERY helpful.

-Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom