Uwatec SmartTec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings everyone,

I was hoping to get some recent feedback on the SmartTec. I just bought one and am looking for some tidbits to remember when using it.

I have read the manual thoroughly and it looks quite straight forward. I especially like the tank switching option should I ever do Nitrox deco diving. I would still use a bottom timer etc for this purpose though.

I have set the microbubbles to L1 which I have read make it as conservative as the Suunto comps.

That's about.

Oh. Also, I did get it to syn with my Palm Tungsten C. Now that's cool! No more lugging a laptop around.

Cheers,
Simon

For diving within the NDLs, there's not much to it.

I prefer to do my safety stops at the 20' mark instead of the 15' mark, so the safety stop timer tends to kick off if I inadvertently drop by a couple feet, but that's not the end of the world. My biggest complaint is the wet contacts... if you change mixes between dives (say, diving 32% nitrox on dive #1 and then having the boat refill with plain air for dive #2), you have to dry your hands and the computer pretty carefully before you can hit those buttons. Likewise, if you ever forget to change the computer from air to nitrox before you jump in, just give it up, there's no way to change the comp to Nitrox once it's wet. Not a problem in that direction, but it could potentially be an issue the other direction... if you left the comp on 32% and forgot to change it back to air before you hit the water, for instance.

I sync mine to my Treo (and then to SmarrTrak on my home comp). Love it!

I see your point regarding the effects of diving on 32% nitrox and then 21% and forgetting to change the comp settings and vise versa.

At least changing the settings are straight forward. Some other comps make you go into special nitrox menus to change. Makes it a real mess! The suuntos actually lock you out of "air" mode if you dive nitrox so you're forced to set it to nitrox 21% for air dives.

Lame!

Can't wait to get my SmartTec wet.

Out of curiosity I logged on to another popular Scuba forum called Yorkshire divers. They all love the Suunto Vytec and rag on Uwatec. Amasing how regional differences occur for brand preference.

I live in Singapore and there is a lot of support for Suunto - especially the stinger and mosquito. When I dive I want a computer, not a piece of jewellery. I go for the Uwatec SmartTec.

Suunto definitely has a following, but there are quite a number of people who find the algorithm used by Suunto to be far too conservative... with NO proof it actually helps anything.

Considering the reason I bought a computer, i.e., increased bottom time on multilevel dives, bottom time is what I'm looking for. I would give up bottom time for safety IF there was any proof whatsoever... but there isn't any.

Yes, I have certainly noticed on deeper dives that the Suunto has you running out of NDL well before the Uwatec. That's even on the 1st dive of a trip!

Uwatec having been doing air integration for a long time and have a good reputation for reliability.

Proof is in the pudding!

Oceanic is even more liberal than Uwatec. And their safety record is just as good as Suunto's. So where is the advantage, exactly?

There's your pudding. :wink:

I've used Oceanic comps and there are terrific. Easy menu navigation, however the software is aweful to say the least. Uwatec Smarttrak is available on PC, Mac, Palm etc. But why am I telling you this.....you have a SmartTec anyway!

I don't know of a comp maker with a poor safety record. Do you?

Posting to wrong thread... Sorry for the confusion...

Would you recommend the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computer? We are new to diving and looking to buy equipment. If we decide to go with a console computer, this is the one we are considering. Why did you choose the console type over watch / retractable? As a newbie, it is hard to decide what we would really like. We do know that we want to dive with our own equipment, especially reg, BC, and computer.

Thanks!
Gina

You are wise to buy your own equipment. I've used Oceanic equipment before and it works a treat. Maybe consider the VT-3, as it can be used with an optional wireless transmitter if you ever want to go that route.

Alternatively, lots of people use the Suunto Vytec or the Uwatec SmartZ as well.

There are many options. The one thing is certain, you'll eventually want to upgrade, so buy with that in mind. Hence my recommendation for comps that have optional transmitters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom