Mares M1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arun

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to this Board, even though I have been diving for nine years now.

I am thinking of getting this dive computer as my second unit. I currently have a Suunto Mosquito and my wife, who is relatively new to diving prefers to have the Suunto as it is not so bulky.

Having done the reviews online, I gather that it is quite conservative and scores well in terms of convenience as you can change the batteries yourself.

I would be grateful to anyone here who has a view on its reliability and its functions to share their views with me to help me make up my mind. Thanks in advance

I have a Mares Nemo and prefer that over the M1, works great just like a mosquito

I have a Mares M1 (non RGBM). It is definitely on the conservative side. It runs on standard AA batteries, which comes in handy, but isn't the most important consideration. The operation is pretty intuitive. The screen is easy to read. I have not had any issues with reliability and i haven't heard of any reliability problems from anyone else. The one thing that does bug me is the buttons. You have to push them pretty hard. This is minor though. It is also a pretty reasonably priced computer Not a bad choice for a second.

I prefer my old Uwatec because the M1 is a little more conservative than I prefer. If that doesn't bother you, I don't see a reason not to consider it.

Hi arun, If fact Mares Nemo having a 2006 - 2007 computer trade up deal, trade in your old dive computer to an autorised Mares Dealer and you will receive a discount $$ off purchase of new Nemo computer
Valid till 30 October 2006

Here the link http://www.divingexpress.com/mares.asp

Thanks guys for your input. Jason, thanks for the information, but I do not have an old one to trade in as the Suunto will be used by my wife. The difference in price between an M1 and the Nemo (Stainless steel) is about USD 140.00 and while the Nemo clearly rocks in terms of style, I understand the functions and the algorythm is the same. NorthernDM, is there anything else I have not thought out vis a vis the two?

Pupdiver, the only reason I am thinking of the Mares is that my wife's views have been poisoned by one of the instructors here who have told her that Uwatecs are too liberal and Suuntos are safer. Even when I went to Layang Layang Sabah for a dive, the dive master there refused to loan out the Uwatecs he had, insisting that I rent the Suunto viper instead.

arun:
Even when I went to Layang Layang Sabah for a dive, the dive master there refused to loan out the Uwatecs he had, insisting that I rent the Suunto viper instead.

It's actually quite a liability to lend out your gear if you're a professional, especially if you're on the job, that's probably why he wouldn't lend you anything.

I have only limited experience with the M1 (10 or so dives). From what I could tell as far as recreational dive computers go it worked fine and was infact, more conservative than my sunnto viper. The two main things I don't like about the M1 a) The stupid buttons and the fact that the user interface is pretty crap and b) it is the size of a small island. If you don't mind fighting with the buttons it's a good computer though.

creamofwheat:
It's actually quite a liability to lend out your gear if you're a professional, especially if you're on the job, that's probably why he wouldn't lend you anything.

Actually, these were the rental units that they had. They had the Uwatecs and Suuntos. As a result of the wall diving that we were doing (where they were mostly deep dives) the DM there wanted us to use the more conservative Suuntos and flat out would not let me try out the Uwatecs. I wanted to try out the Uwatec Sport Plus that they had to see if I would like it or not.

Hi Arun, I've got the new M2 and I like it a lot. Here is a short summary/review of it that I posted on another board, hoping it will be of help to you. My girfriend has the M1 and personally, I prefer the M2 buttons which are a bit easier to push.

"for what it's worth, I have the new Mares M2 and it's proven so far (it's relatively new) to be a dandy little computer. For 280$ (you can get the M1 which is almost identical for 260$), it does everything I want it to do. I wasn't looking for anything fancy, so...

It has a RGBM algorythm and is reputed to be one of the most conservative of computers (which I like personaly), Nitrox compatible (to 50% I believe), can log 50 dives, possible download to a computer (need special mares infrared adapter), has all the safety stops and alarms that are typical, has an additional 1 minute deep stop at 60 feet if you go deep, very good backlite for dim conditions, easy to read screen, big buttons easy to press with gloves, the buttons are a bit stiff, but I find that good as you won't flip menus by accidentaly hitting a button.

Also very nifty, it uses 2x AAA batteries which are easy to replace and the batery compatrment is isolated from the rest of the computer, so if you flood your battery compartment, the computer should be OK (ah those darned O-rings! ).

So all in all, it's nothing fancy! It has all the basic stuff I wanted, plus a few nice details. And wasn't too expensive! "

Thanks Codman for that very helpful review. I am going to make inquiries at the distributor here for the M2. I may need to order the M2 from Singapore instead as we may not have the M2 here in Malaysia.

arun:
Thanks guys for your input. Jason, thanks for the information, but I do not have an old one to trade in as the Suunto will be used by my wife. The difference in price between an M1 and the Nemo (Stainless steel) is about USD 140.00 and while the Nemo clearly rocks in terms of style, I understand the functions and the algorythm is the same. NorthernDM, is there anything else I have not thought out vis a vis the two?

Pupdiver, the only reason I am thinking of the Mares is that my wife's views have been poisoned by one of the instructors here who have told her that Uwatecs are too liberal and Suuntos are safer. Even when I went to Layang Layang Sabah for a dive, the dive master there refused to loan out the Uwatecs he had, insisting that I rent the Suunto viper instead.

If you want conservative, then either the M1 or M2 will work fine. One caution I should have mentioned: The M1 RGBM underwent a recall, so if you buy used check the serial number against the ones that were recalled. The M1 non-RGBM (like I have) was not part of the recall.

Interesting story about the DMs not renting out the Uwatecs and instructors calling them too liberal. Does anyone know of any reported problems with divers using Uwatecs? Or, are they just trying to stay as far away from lawsuits as they can.

Back
Top Bottom