Oceanic Pro Plus Computer & laptop IR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just aquired used Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus and it does not have the PC interface cable. Can I use the IR port in my laptop to download data. If so, what part of the Pro Plus has the IR transmitter? It looks like it might be between the 2 buttons.
Is anyone doing this successfully?

I have searched SB and not found the answer.
Thanks,

Sorry won't work, you need the cable.

Best,

Chris

Only Uwatec uses IR. You have to buy a separate cable for most all other computers. Why the other manufacturers don't standardize on USB or IR is beyond me. I suspect greed.

CompuDude:
Only Uwatec uses IR. You have to buy a separate cable for most all other computers. Why the other manufacturers don't standardize on USB or IR is beyond me. I suspect greed.
I want to believe that it doesn't use IR, but then how can I account for the fact that there is NO place to plug in a cable on the Oceanic Pro plus AND the instructions talk about an IR connection (see steps 4 & 5 below).

Even though it's supposed to only work with a cable, which I assume is just a flexible IR sensor, then it seems to me that bringing the Pro Plus up to the IR on a laptop should work IF the software can recognize the laptop IR port.
I would try this out of course, but it's a new used dive computer with dead battery and I'm waiting for a battery to show up in the mail.
divecomp.jpg

Thanks

For a minute after reading your response, I thought you must be right and I was wrong, and was in fact pleased that another manufacturer was going IR. I think it is a GREAT trend, and abhor custom cable solutions.

But the Oceanic rep already said, earlier in the thread, that you were going to need the cable, so despite the indications in the dialog box and/or manual, I don't think regular IR is going to cut it. Perhaps they are merely shades of things to come in future models?

But in the end I have to think that, in this instance at least, I am correct, and you won't be able to go IR on this one. I think the Oceanic rep on this board would know best. You MIGHT consider posting this in the Oceanic manufacturer's forum here on ScubaBoard for clarification, however, given the dialog box's info.

He can post it in the Oceanic section but he will still need a cable....

There is some IR aspect to some of our units, however they are in the factory use only. It won't just sync. with a IR port on a laptop.

CompuDude:
..and was in fact pleased that another manufacturer was going IR. I think it is a GREAT trend, and abhor custom cable solutions...
Actually, I too think any custom cable is archaic. They should all be Bluetooth by now unless that would drain the battery too fast.
Of course my computer is an older Pro Plus, probably from the last century, so I can understand the lack of bluetooth on that.

Thanks,

cerich:
Sorry won't work, you need the cable.

Best,

Chris

Hi Chris,
I bought the software and the cable.. It was parallel! But it sure doesn't seem to work.
Software just crashes.
I find no reference to it on the Oceanic web site to get an update.
What's up??
Is this a throw-away purchase I just made?
Thanks,
Frank

The old serial port cables don't seem to work on XP machines. It has something to do with the new addressing of the ports. I saw a post once from someone who hacked around and got it to work, but that was a while ago.

I'd tell you to return the cable... (and the computer) and start fresh if you want download capability.

Back
Top Bottom