Bottom Timer and dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Ooi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just curious how many tec divers are there have both or just independent bottom timer + table?

I use 2 Dive Rite Nitek Duos in 'gage' mode as bottom timers and use custom cut tables.

do it easy:
I have 2 bottom timers, a watch, and tables.

how about a poll?
Suppose I created poll accidentally press wrong button, anyone help?:(

Does anyone still use a mechanical watch for a bottom timer or a mechanical depth guage?

The reason I ask is because these two items are rather important in diving, whether technical or recreational and are typically (always?) "electronic." Yet one of the big complaints about the use of a computer, as opposed to a bottom timer, is that it is "electronic" and "everyone knows that salt water and electronics don't mix" which is why the brass SPG is the choice for providing pressure information.

IF it is so much better to have a mechanical SPG, why isn't it better to have a mechanical bottom timer (aka watch) and mechanical depth guage?

I also use a Dive Rite Duo, and a bottom timer and a watch just in case,had my Duo puke one time and was glad to have the back up!

I have a Vyper in guage mode, and a G-Shock. I also have a ScubaPro mechanical depth guage. After losing a mechanical watch years ago(nice one) I'm not interested in sacrificing another to the deep.

PerroneFord:
I have a Vyper in guage mode, and a G-Shock. I also have a ScubaPro mechanical depth guage. After losing a mechanical watch years ago(nice one) I'm not interested in sacrificing another to the deep.
Peronne (and any others), I'm curious. Since you dive with a computer, why don't you run it in computer mode? You could elect to read only the depth and time, just like you do in gauge mode, but the deco info would be there, too, if you want or need it (say if something unexpected causes you to deviate from your schedule).

Or if you absolutely positively never will use the computer in other than gauge mode, why would anybody carry along something so elaborate, when a simpler and cheaper depth/time instrument would do, like the Suunto D3, for example?

I'm familiar with the arguments against relying on computers. I'm inquiring about USING them versus relying on them. This isn't meant as a challenge. Like I said, I'm curious.

I can see two obvious reasons for wanting to keep the "computer" in gauge mode (as opposed to just having a gauge or running it as a true NDL computer). First, if your dive profiles would otherwise "bend" the computer (thereby locking you out for subsequent dives). Second, to be able to download dive profiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom