OSX Compatible dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfriedel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my wife a dive computer, and I'm kind of tossing around getting her a Gekko or a Vyper since I already have the comms cable and I know there's software for it for her Macbook. Are there any other computers that have (either natively or via 3rd party) OSX download capabilities? I would have searched, but I kept getting no results. :(

Fordan:
I use a dive recorder, Sensus Pro, which I download into my Macbook Pro.

Yeah, I was looking at that the other day - a question popped up: How quickly does the temperature adjust? That's one of my wife's biggest problems with my vyper - it records temperature at maximum depth rather than the coldest temperature recorded. Add in the fact that it takes a few minutes to stabilize, and often I'll get a reading that's as much as 10 degrees F off. Otherwise that's perfect (and at a good price point!) for what she wants - logging over decompression limits. It's hard to get into deco in our lakes without a certain degree of masochism.

pfriedel:
Yeah, I was looking at that the other day - a question popped up: How quickly does the temperature adjust?

Only had it for the liveaboard trip I did to the Great Barrier Reef off Cairns so far; not a lot of water temp variation there. Ask me again after the weekend, when I intend to do a couple dives at a quary where I expect to go from cold above the thermocline to COLD below it.

The best I can do for now is the pool dive I did prior to getting on the boat with my new BCD to get used to it. I went from an air conditioned hotel room into a trunk for a 4-5 minute drive and then into the 84-85F pool water at the dive training center. So the unit may have been cooler then air temperature when I hopped in the pool (unit starts recording by default when it senses 3 ft of water pressure). Scale on the temp graph would be about 77-84F, dive time around 11 minutes or so.

pooldive.png

pfriedel:
Yeah, I was looking at that the other day - a question popped up: How quickly does the temperature adjust?

Excellent question. All dive computers will exhibit some lag in temperature response due to the thermal mass of the device and location of the temperature sensor.

Because our Sensus Pro/Ultra recorders are so very tiny, and because the temperature sensor is part of the pressure sensor module (exposed to the water), they are at the better end of the spectrum. The only devices which respond faster are the ones with all-metal cases (which conduct heat far better than plastic).

Now in practical terms, our (Ultra) recorders' 0.01 degree resolution means that even with the response lag, you can still precisely identify the location of a thermocline. That is, as soon as the ambient temperature changes, you'll see the slope of the profile change. That's something that a computer which reads to 1 degree will not show you.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

pfriedel:
I'm looking at getting my wife a dive computer, and I'm kind of tossing around getting her a Gekko or a Vyper since I already have the comms cable and I know there's software for it for her Macbook. Are there any other computers that have (either natively or via 3rd party) OSX download capabilities? I would have searched, but I kept getting no results. :(
There are threads such as this: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=120985 and there are others where you can identify Mac users at ScubaBoard. There are other threads as well, so there's enough of us - divers with Macs. I wish we had more options than we do now and a better support.

pfriedel:

What are you looking at as far as software? I have a Mosquito and decided at some point that it was just too complicated to interface with my Mac. Maybe they have software support now? I got one of the Sensus recorders and it works great. No additional $100 usb cable will ever be purchased for any of my dive computers ever again.

FYI, the Gekko is not downloadable as configured from the factory. Someone around here has figured out a hack, though. Forgot who. Do a search.

ZzzKing:
What are you looking at as far as software? I have a Mosquito and decided at some point that it was just too complicated to interface with my Mac. Maybe they have software support now? I got one of the Sensus recorders and it works great. No additional $100 usb cable will ever be purchased for any of my dive computers ever again.

I got a cheap $10 serial interface dongle from Hong Kong for my Vyper and tried it out on my iBook with a USB/Serial adaptor and DiveLog, and it worked like a charm. So I know that the Suunto line (at my price point, anyway) is in the running. But yeah, the Sensus is awfully interesting at a price point only slightly above what most other manufacturers want for a cable with minor signal conversion electronics.

ZzzKing:
FYI, the Gekko is not downloadable as configured from the factory. Someone around here has figured out a hack, though. Forgot who. Do a search.

Yeah, I have the CIBDiver (?) hack for the gekko, so that's taken care of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom