Computer and Pressure Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a wrist mount suunto viper and a console just for that reason. This past weekend I was diving in Subic Bay in the Philippines. One diver on the boat had his computer malfuntion and read +500 PSI H made the next dive and it went south just after he returned to the boat. He tried to buy a spg but it was Saturday night none on hand at the LDS it took three days for one to arrive. Before my friends witnessed this they laughed at me for my console. Now they are looking at back consoles and SPG's!

There is no need to carry a redundant SPG while on a dive. If it goes tits up you abort the dive the same with a computer. Plain and simple. The same when doing NDL dives, there is no need to carry a backup depth guage/timer. However, this is not to say you should not carry a spare SPG, depth gauge, and timer in your emergency kit. We do this whenever we travel to dive. Although I just sold ours and in the process of replacing it with a simpler backup depth gauge/bottom timer.

Even when doing dives requiring deco stops there is no need to have a redundant SPG - however a redunant depth gauge / bottom timer is required. Lots of info on this such do a search.

Back
Top Bottom