Atmos 2 vs the Aladin tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

punkrex

Registered
Reaction score
Lookin to buy either one, I know the atmos is cheaper but is it as nice as the uwatec?
Opinions, options?

I own both, and like both. In my opinion, I like the Scubapro software better. I also like the average depth and stopwatch function of the SP. If I had to choose I would pick the Aladin tec, but if you are looking for a good computer at a cheaper price (and didn't need the ability to do 100% O2, or the ave depth and stopwatch), then there is nothing wrong with the Atmos.

Thaks for the reply...
Does anyone else have something to offer?

don't know anything about the atmos. I have two aladin tecs that I use in guage mode. Very happy with them.

If I was diving it as a computer, I don't know if I'd like it or not since my needs would be different. Most computers now all offer a pretty decent item. User replacable batteries are key to me. Large numbers/readout are key to me. Dive time in seconds is key to me. Stopwatch is key to me.

Anyway, you should figure out what features you want and then determine which computers have it. If you have done that, then either may be good for you.

Good luck and safe diving.

Chris

the Uwatec Smart Com has to be sent to the factory to have the batteries changed. The change is included as part of the lifetime warranty and is at no cost (except shipping unless the LDS sends it for you).
WHAT STOP WATCH FUNCTION?
And maybe because I am not too bright or maybe because I lack the training but I find the Smart Com complicated to use. It is very easy to read and provides all the important data a diver needs. It reports water temperature, present depth, deepest depth, BT and BT remaining, air pressure, and has tons of aggravating, annoying alarms, some good, some ridiculous. Low air or ascending too quickly are good alarms, but breathing too heavy is nuts. When I am swimming against a pretty stiff current, I cant help it if I breath heavy and I dont like the beep, beep, beep.
The complications come in being on the surface and trying to figure out which of those "buttons" to hit to get the logbook up or the dive planner or whatever else you are looking for.

I second the Atmos 2. I got one, earlier this year and it's very easy to use and read. I had no problems with the software, or downloading dives.

I've used both the Atmos 2 and the Uwatec (borrowed, after my Atmos 2 was stolen), and I far prefer the Atmos 2, though the Uwatec didn't kill me taking it on a couple rather deep dives. You can't change settings on the Uwatecs without the computer interface (it seems, from a friend who had one in a console and spent more time fighting with it on land than using it underwater), it doesn't show nitrogen loading, only time remaining, I'm not sure you can change how conservative you want it to be.

Also, the infrared PC connection is harder to work than a cable, said friend was constantly losing the connection, and he was using the only laptop I've ever seen with a functioning infrared port, the two I've owned that had IR ports never worked, and the machine I have now doesn't have one - granted, it's a Mac, but I have VirtualPC for other stuff, and the Aeris software works just fine with the USB cable.

When mine was stolen, I asked an instructor where I was diving if there was any good reason to replace my Aeris with anything else, and even though he's at a Scubapro shop, he said there wasn't really any, so...

asaara:
You can't change settings on the Uwatecs without the computer interface (it seems, from a friend who had one in a console and spent more time fighting with it on land than using it underwater), it doesn't show nitrogen loading, only time remaining, I'm not sure you can change how conservative you want it to be.

Aladin Tec can be completly configured without a PC/Mac. Only thing that needs to be adjusted via IrDa is to turn off various alarms one by one, because on the unit itself you can either turn them all on or off, no adjustments which ones.

Aladin Tec does show nitrogen loading with a bar to the right, and you can set 6 different levels of how conservative it is, plus it has a user replaceable battery.

Carribeandiver:
the Uwatec Smart Com has to be sent to the factory to have the batteries changed. The change is included as part of the lifetime warranty and is at no cost (except shipping unless the LDS sends it for you).
WHAT STOP WATCH FUNCTION?
And maybe because I am not too bright or maybe because I lack the training but I find the Smart Com complicated to use. It is very easy to read and provides all the important data a diver needs. It reports water temperature, present depth, deepest depth, BT and BT remaining, air pressure, and has tons of aggravating, annoying alarms, some good, some ridiculous. Low air or ascending too quickly are good alarms, but breathing too heavy is nuts. When I am swimming against a pretty stiff current, I cant help it if I breath heavy and I dont like the beep, beep, beep.
The complications come in being on the surface and trying to figure out which of those "buttons" to hit to get the logbook up or the dive planner or whatever else you are looking for.

Err.. who is talking about the Smart Com? The OP asked about the Aladin Tec.
The Tec's battery is user replaceable, and does have a stop watch feature in gauge mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom