Help request - Aeris USB drivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougNR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all:

After happily using my Atmos 2 for some time, I decided to buy the download cable to simplify the software dive logging process. Well, it hasn't been working out as planned.

I started off by downloading the latest versions of both the USB driver and the log software from the Aeris site. Following the sparse directions, I was indeed prompted for usb driver file location upon plugging in the cable for the first time. This process ends with a notification that an unspecified file can not be loaded and no option but to restart the process or cancel out of it. Each try yields the same result.

Hoping that perhaps the driver loaded properly anyway, I tried a download from the Atmos 2 computer. The port is indicated as found, but fails handshake and times out.

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2. The physical USB port is functioning fine for digital camera downloads and the like. The cable is being plugged into the dive computer properly - logo up. The spring loaded contact pins seem to be free and functional.

I've left several messages at the support phone line and received no return calls. Emails to the support address have also gone unanswered. I'm more than a bit frustrated:banghead:

Any help you may be able to provide would be very much appreciated indeed!!

Regards;

Doug

I had no problem with the USB driver installation with SP2 but when I first tried the cable I had the same error. I found that I had not pushed the cable in far enough into the slot on the Atmos 2. I pushed it in a bit more and tried again and it worked. This might be your problem. Good luck.

Unfortunately, the Aeris download site is very confusing. There is NO good information telling you what you need to download.

*I BELIEVE* (I'll need to double-check after I go home) all you need is the ACI software.

I found installation of the Aeris software less than straightforward, but don't recall that issue with it. I did have several handshake and time-out problems when I first tried to connect the cable. The Atmos 2 does not have a really "positive" way to let you know you're making a decent connection, i.e., you can actually put the thing in the computer upside down as nothing prevents this.

I eventually overcame this by first getting the dive log software to the screen where it would initiate a download (but didn't initiate it yet). I then put the Aeris into PC mode, and then firmly held the cable against the Atmos 2 (with "Aeris" on the cable facing up). Then I initiated the download from the PC software. This seemed to overcome whatever connection problem I had been having and the download went pretty quick. I seemed to get better at having a feel for the proper connection the more I did it (I was downloading from my wife's Atmos 2 also, so got plenty of practice).

It seems to take a bit more effort to get a proper connection from my wrist-mounted computer than from my wife's retractor mounted unit since hers lays flat on the surface. The wristband on mine seems to hold it slightly above the surface and not in a straight line with the cable connector.

I appreciate the comments from you all.

I'm now totally convinced this is a USB driver install issue that exists only on my desktop computer. I tried installing the drivers to my laptop yesterday and the whole process went without a hitch. No errors in the driver install and no problems downloading the dive info drom the Atmos 2 DC. This means the cable and my procedure are no longer suspect.

I need to figure out what the problem is on the desktop as that is where I want this stuff to reside. I transfered the dive log file to my desktop, but since there is no way to import just new dives I have to fix the problem pretty soon. Import is used only to bring in a dive log file from an older version of the software. If the program could import the text files of selected dives you are able to export I'd have a solution. Makes you wonder what the 'export' function is intended for.

Thanks again.

Doug

Doug....try posting this in the "Aeris" forum. The Aeris rep is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom