Water inside SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a two inch brass SPG made by OMS. The other day I'm down at about 60 feet and notice these is water inside. THis shouldn't happen but it did.

Question: How could it have gotten in? Some one said I may have rinsed my reg out with the dust cap off and rinse water got into the high pressure hose. OK, maybe but then how does the water get from the hose to the back of the class plate? I thought the HP air only went inside a little curved tube that expanded and drove the needle.

There is an o-ring under the glass. Perhaps that leaks? Anyone know how to remoe the glass from an OMS SPG?

If it under warranty (and was in a boot, if not warranty does not apply) send it back, it isn't servicable,even if you could take the glass off and dry it out and reassemble the mechanism will continue to corrode and be no longer accurate or just stop working.

Be very careful!! I had one full of water blow up in my face when it was under pressure!!

I got water in my SPG last year. It worked fine for the rest of the day, but sure enough later in the week I saw salt crystals and then corrosion.

Just go ahead and plan on replacing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom