Mini SPG with Imperial/Metric!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomjinx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys and Gals,

Since I dive in both the US/Carribean and SE Asia, I have to deal with dive briefings and DMs that are using both Imperial (psi for gas & feet for depth) and metric (bars and meters). My dive computer can easily switch between feet and meters, but it is not air-integrated, so the SPG has been the problem for me.

At first I just used 2 different SPGs, and switched them out depending on where I was going. Looking for a more elegant solution, I found a Dacor SPG that is calibrated in both psi and bars. But it was a big clunky thing, and I try to lighten and streamline my travel rig as much as possible.

After searching for some time I finally found a mini SPG that is calibrated in both!
It is made by Promate and is manufactured in Italy, as are many SPGs sold by major companies.

http://www.promateusa.com/main.asp?cate=INSTRUMENTS

Yes, I know I could do conversions/estimations, but I was looking for the easiest and best solution to the problem. I finally found it and love it.

I hope this info will be useful to others as well.

Thanks for the link. I found a vintage PSI/BAR SPG on e-bay a little while back that was a nice size but it cracked and filled with water after about 50 dives. I might get one of these to replace it. Here in the Philippines I am constantly switching between imperial and metric depending on who I'm diving with, it is nice having air guages that display both.

OMS has one as well....but I am sure there are others out there that show both as well

g-240.jpg

There aren't as many as you might think. Which is surprising, really. There is nothing different about the guage, other than the face.

I had seen the OMS one, and it is very well made, but it is a good bit bigger and heavier than the regular 'mini' guages. Since this is for a 'travel' rig, I was looking for something as small and light as I could get. The Promate fits the bill nicely.

Hey Kupu, where are you in the Philippines? I love that country! I have dived in Puerta Galera, Anilao and Coron so far, and plan to do more.

I have 2 older Dacor SPGs that are calibrated in both imperial and metric, and I will no longer need both of them. So I may sell one.

Hey, I just noticed in your profile...you and I have the same birthday! Except mine is a couple of decades or so earlier than yours. Haha!

Have a San Miguel for me!
Thomjinx

thomjinx:
Hey Guys and Gals,

Since I dive in both the US/Carribean and SE Asia, I have to deal with dive briefings and DMs that are using both Imperial (psi for gas & feet for depth) and metric (bars and meters). My dive computer can easily switch between feet and meters, but it is not air-integrated, so the SPG has been the problem for me.

At first I just used 2 different SPGs, and switched them out depending on where I was going. Looking for a more elegant solution, I found a Dacor SPG that is calibrated in both psi and bars. But it was a big clunky thing, and I try to lighten and streamline my travel rig as much as possible.

After searching for some time I finally found a mini SPG that is calibrated in both!
It is made by Promate and is manufactured in Italy, as are many SPGs sold by major companies.

http://www.promateusa.com/main.asp?cate=INSTRUMENTS

Yes, I know I could do conversions/estimations, but I was looking for the easiest and best solution to the problem. I finally found it and love it.

I hope this info will be useful to others as well.

Is there any price info?

I used to use a "bar" unit. It is very simple to convert to a "psi" though.

I might need to get two more SPGs :wink:

i've always wondered why manufacturers have not released a dual-calibrated SPG... it's not like it's rocket science to print both markers on a single face...

even some cars have MPH/KPH dual speedometers and you don't see them running up trees all the time

Jag

Hoosier,

It was around $79 at my lds. That seems about average for mini SPGs. I have seen them cheaper, but never with the dual calibration, other than the larger used Dacors I have.

I think the OMS guages are a bit more, but they are very very well made. And a bit too big and clunky for my 'travel' rig.

Caloy, I have never seen a dual-calibrated Aqualung guage. Maybe they don't offer those to the US market? Or maybe none of my local shops stock them?

Jason, I actually thought about one of those, but even if I figured out a way to put it on the end of a hose, these old eyes might have trouble reading it easily. Any idea how realiable those little things are? I do have a pony bottle.

thomjinx:
Hoosier,

It was around $79 at my lds. That seems about average for mini SPGs. I have seen them cheaper, but never with the dual calibration, other than the larger used Dacors I have.

I think the OMS guages are a bit more, but they are very very well made. And a bit too big and clunky for my 'travel' rig.

Caloy, I have never seen a dual-calibrated Aqualung guage. Maybe they don't offer those to the US market? Or maybe none of my local shops stock them?

Jason, I actually thought about one of those, but even if I figured out a way to put it on the end of a hose, these old eyes might have trouble reading it easily. Any idea how realiable those little things are? I do have a pony bottle.
I'll take a pic of the gauge tonight Thom and post it here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom